To us, the inhabitants of the Northern Hemisphere, Australia is the ultimate contrast. After all, when it’s unbearably cold up here, the weather is sunny (and sometimes unbearably hot) down in Australia. At the same time, we foreigners aren’t the only ones who see “the land down under” as unpredictable and often perplexing.
The locals themselves keep pointing out that Australia is both fantastic and terrifying, often at the same time. One day, you may be greeted by the cutest tiny gecko on your bedroom wall... Then look up at the ceiling and see the creepiest moth you’ve ever encountered in your life! Don't believe us? The proof is in the 21 hilarious pictures below.
1. "Hello and welcome to Australia. How may I help you?"
2. In Australia, keep your priorities straight and always choose air conditioning
3. "This is how much food you can get for the cost of a pack of cigarettes in Australia"
4. Camping in Australia looks like so much fun!
5. "An emu egg I found a few years back in Australia"
6. I wish the cameramen in the Northern Hemisphere were just as cute!
7. But also remember that even moths are absolutely terrifying in this country!
8. "It’s so super hot here in Australia at the moment, and I wondered why birds weren’t using our bird bath"
9. You know life is tough when you see a frog eating a snake
10. The selection of sexy calendars in this Australian shop shows the owners must have a good sense of humor!
11. For your psychological wellbeing, never look down at your leg when you feel a tickle...
12. ...and be ready to cancel all your plans because a giant lizard entered your property and is splashing in your pond
13. Here's another lesson learned - not all kangaroos look friendly and cute
14. But there's also plenty of beauty in Australia. Just look at this gorgeous Regal Bird flower that's native to Inland Northern Australia
15. This may be the cutest gecko I've seen in my life (the banana is for scale)
16. A Rainbow Wrasse caught near the coast of Christmas Island
17. "A 6-month-old baby kangaroo I am raising is very impatient at bottle time..."
18. The ruthless Australian summer made this cockatoo hooked on soda
19. This possum came down through the fireplace, trashed the place, ate all the bananas, and jumped on the inhabitants of the home, all at 2 AM
20. William Dampier was the first Englishman to travel to Australia, here's what he wrote about this land:
21. We saved this hilarious bonus Facebook post for last:
Share these hilarious pictures with others!