Carrot cake is such a wonderful dessert that even people who dislike the funny-shaped root vegetable can't resist it. And this has got to be up there as one of the best-ever carrot cake recipes. Make this classic favorite for a crowd and you definitely won't have any leftovers to bring home. But you'll certainly be the most popular baker in your town!
Carrot Cake (Serves 20)
• 4 large eggs
• 1 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 2 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon cloves
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• 20 oz. carrots, finely chopped (about 3 1/4 cups)
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 1 cup crushed pineapple, well-drained
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
• 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
• 2 cups white chocolate chips, melted
• 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
• Chopped walnuts, for garnish
For the Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line the bottom of three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Leave sides of pans dry - no cooking spray needed.
2. Combine eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes with a mixer on medium speed. Add 1 cup of sugar and continue mixing for 2 minutes. Add the remaining sugar and mix 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Combine flour and the next 6 ingredients (flour through to nutmeg); add to the egg mixture, beating on low speed until blended, about 1 minute. Add carrots, walnuts, and pineapple; mix until well combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly among pans.
5. Bake for 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Run a knife around the edge of the cakes and remove from pans. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
To Prepare Icing
7. Place cream cheese in mixing bowl; beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add melted chocolate a little at a time, continuing to beat at medium speed. Add butter a little at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl; add lemon rind and beat until combined.
8. Remove cakes from the fridge. Ice top of one layer. Places the second layer on top; ice top. Place the third layer on top; ice top and sides of cake. Press chopped walnuts into sides of cake.