Ice-cream sounds like a typically modern treat, yet did you know there are recipes for our favorite frozen dessert that go back hundreds of years? Here is one unique creation that comes from the 1700s. You only need a few basic ingredients, and it’s wonderfully easy to make. The best thing is that this ice-cream is quite savory, since it is made with parmesan cheese! Wow, what an idea! According to Mrs. Curtis (see video) this ice-cream is a little sweet, luxuriously creamy and slides easily down your throat. Lovely!
So, go on! You know you want to try and taste how your ancestors ate their ice-cream. Here’s the recipe that’s survived the centuries.
For the custard:
• 6 fresh eggs
• 3 oz grated Parmesan
• 2 cups cream
For the syrup:
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 cup water
5. Stir the mixture into a pot on put on a low-medium heat.
1. Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl, and add the Parmesan.
2. Make the syrup by heating 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup of water. Simmer until thick and syrupy (about 1 cup).
3. Now add the homemade syrup to the egg and cheese mix.
4. Then add 2 cups cream to make a basic custard.
6. Cook until you can pull a wooden spoon out of the thickened custard and make a mark into it with your finger that doesn’t close up.
7. Take it off the fire and let cool for half an hour.
8. Store it in a container and freeze for about 10 minutes. Then take it out and give it a churn. Repeat 3 times. Then serve, or let it freeze further until you are ready to serve. Enjoy!