A photograph of a cockroach will hardly be imagined as stunning by most people. But that’s exactly what it is in the WildArt Photo of the Year competition. This new wildlife photography contest has been designed by wildlife photographers, for wildlife photographers and will be judged solely by wildlife photographers. The competition features 10 themed categories which are announced every month, at the end of which the best images are chosen and unveiled.
At the end of the year, an overall winner will be awarded. But until then, you can enjoy these jaw-dropping wildlife photos from the contest. From a flamingo framed against a setting sun to a crab covered in bioluminescence, these stunning photos truly deserve to be framed.
Related: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2020 Winners in 15 Pics
1. Light Silver Award Winner ‘Last Moments’ – Tibor Kercz
A Caribbean flamingo (Phoenicopterus ruber) snapped as the sun sets at Rio Lagarto Biosfera Reserve, Mexico.
2. Highly Commended – Fabio Sartori
A pair of European dwarf mantis (Ameles spallanzania) above an ear of corn.
3. Commended – Devon Jenkin
A glorious image of an African elephant.
4. Light Gold Award Winner ‘Connection’ – Amit Eshel
A female Patagonia Puma (Puma concolor) is looking for prey while her cubs want to play.
5. Highly Commended – Tibor Kercz
A little owl (Athene noctua) peeks from behind the trunk of a tree during a light shower.
6. Highly Commended – Kallol Mukherjee
A blue-tailed bee-eater (Merops philippinus) flies over a riverbank.
7. Light Silver Award Winner ‘Last Moments’ – Tibor Kercz
A pair of mountain hares (Lepus timidus) fight while another one looks on.
8. Wildart Young Light Category Winner ‘The Stars Beneath The Ground’ – D’artagnan Sprengel
A magical image of glow worms (Lampyris noctiluca) illuminating stalactites on the roof of a cave in Northland, New Zealand.
9. Light Gold Award Winner ‘Magic Spores’ – Bernhard Schubert
A cockroach is covered by floating spores of a bracket fungus.
10. Cotton Carrier Award Winner ‘Warm Light’ – Peter Hudson
A greater roadrunner (Geococcyx californianus) ruffles its feathers and basks in the sunlight.
11. Wild Planet Photo Magazine Award Winner ‘Light And Shadow’ – Duncan Armour
A green hermit (Phaethornis guy) feeds from a heliconia flower in Costa Rica.
12. Commended – Kevin Morgans
A black grouse (Lyrurus tetrix) struts around on an early winter morning as gold hues filter across the lake.
13. Commended – Kevin Morgans
A dramatic image of a puffin with a mouthful of fish.
14. Commended – Colin Edwards
Beautiful sunrise and some frolicking seals.
15. Commended – Lincoln Macgregor
A crab covered in bioluminescence.
16. Commended – Tyler Reber
A shorebird bathed in beautiful light.
17. Commended – Vance Solseth
The wings of the two ducks are almost in the same position.
18. Highly Commended – Łukasz Sokół
A Savi's warbler (Locustella luscinioides) amongst swamp flora.
19. Topaz Labs Prize Winner ‘Walk On The Light’ – Fabio Sartori
A spider takes up a defensive stance in the early morning dew.
20. Commended – Rahul Sachdev
A magnificent shot of a crane (Gruidae) at the Bharatpur wildlife sanctuary, India.
Share these beautiful wildlife photos with other nature lovers!