Black and white photos have their charm. But often, when we see such photos, we tend to forget that life back then wasn’t black and white; it was as vibrant and full of color as it is today. This is why it can be really fascinating to see historical photos in color. Today, we shall treat you to a few such gems, courtesy of Romanian artist Jecinci.
The 36-year-old artist has a passion for colorizing black and white photos. She trained herself by studying tutorials on YouTube and taking lessons from some of the best artists in the field. Besides portraits of important or lesser-known figures, Jecinci colorizes images that intrigue her, such as one of young princess Diana with her pet guinea pig or a mugshot of Frank Sinatra.
Let’s check out some of the best black and white photos from history that Jecinci has restored in color.
Related: 16 Incredible Historical Black and White Photos Colorized
1. Amelia Earhart
2. Young Princess Diana with her guinea pig at the Sandringham Pet Show, 1972
3. Albert Einstein wearing a Levi’s “Menlo Cossack” leather jacket, 1938
4. Billie Holiday with her dog Mister, February 1947
5. Girl with a bird and a dog, Boston, Massachusetts, US, the 1920s
6. Frank Sinatra arrested, mugshot, 1938
7. John F. Kennedy with his wife Jacqueline Bouvier at the Kennedy Family Home in Hyannis Port in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, 4 July 1953
8. James Dean in the movie “Giant,” 1956
9. Women from the Kayan Lahwi tribe, an ethnic group found in Myanmar and Thailand, look at a guard posted at St. James’s Palace 16th Century main gate during their visit to London, 1935
10. Illuminated tires developed by Goodyear in 1961
11. Fokin & Fokina, Cleopatra ballet costumes, Stockholm, 1914
12. George Washington Carver, March 1942
13. Charlie Chaplin in the movie “Shoulder Arms,” 1918
14. Unpacking the Mona Lisa at the end of World War II, 1945
15. Romania, the 1930s
16. Finnish soldier looks on at a burning town, 1944
17. Podu Ros, a neighborhood in Iași, Romania, viewed from the Palace of Culture with the city pool in the foreground, early 20th century
18. Arnold Schwarzenegger posing at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London, circa 1968
19. Romanian woman in traditional costume from the early 20th century
20. Laurel and Hardy
21. King Ferdinand and Queen Marie of Romania arriving at Dover, UK, for a state visit, 12 May 1924
22. Officers of the 69th New York Volunteer Regiment pose with a cannon at Fort Corcoran, 1861
Check out more works of the artist on her Instagram page.
Share these photos with your loved ones!