Quarantine got many people to experiment with cooking - pictures and recipes for homemade sourdough, pretzels, cookies, and more are everywhere you turn on social media. If you want to join in on the fun but aren’t used to spending much time in the kitchen, or find baking a bit daunting - this one is for you. This microwave bread is light, airy, and delicious. And the best part - super easy to make and only takes 4 minutes to cook!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the dish
- 1½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1½ teaspoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2⅔ cups all-purpose flour (note that when measuring flour, it's recommended to spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the excess. Scooping directly from the bag compacts the flour, resulting in dry baked goods).
1. Butter a 1.5-quart microwave-safe glass dish and set aside.
2. Mix together the butter, yeast, sugar, salt, and 1 cup of warm water, preferably with the dough hook attachment.
3. With the mixer on low speed, add ½ cup of flour at a time, waiting for each addition to blend in fully before adding more. Once all the flour is added, knead on medium speed for about 8 minutes.
4. Transfer the dough to the prepared dish, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
5. Microwave on the high setting, until the internal temperature of the bread registers 200°F/ 93°C - it should take about 4 minutes.
6. Start checking if done at 3 minutes, as microwave power levels may vary. Let the bread cool in the dish for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a rack and let cool completely.