2 medium sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup maple syrup
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Meanwhile, place a sweet potato between two chopsticks for stability and knife guidance. And, every 1/4 inch along the length of the sweet potato, slice 1/3 of the way through, or until the knife hits the chopsticks. Repeat with the second potato.
3. Brush the sweet potato with vegetable oil and place in a small baking dish seasoning with salt and pepper to taste
4. Bake the sweet potatoes for 30 to 40 minutes, or until soft.
5. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and increase the temperature to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Then, in a small bowl, combine the melted butter, ground cinnamon, chopped pecans, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and kosher salt, stirring to mix.
7. Spoon the mixture over and in between the baked sweet potato slices pushing the pecan pieces in between each slice.
8. Return the sweet potatoes to the oven and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and spoon any cooking liquid over the potatoes, allowing them to cool slightly before serving.