Today, in a world where our smartphones go everywhere with us and we record every moment of our lives and the lives of our family, our devices accumulate countless images that capture beautiful and happy moments of our lives. With this being true, what’s better than turning all those photos into a video accompanied by music, which can be shared with our loved ones? Sounds wonderful, doesn’t it? With the free and exciting app called Quik, you can make this fantasy a reality very easily. Once you get acquainted with the application, available on both Android and iPhone, you'll understand why Quik is so useful, and learn how to use it to create unique videos made up of your most beautiful photos.
What is Quik and what’s unique about it?
Quik is a free downloadable application that allows you to use images from your mobile phone to create a video showing them in sequence. The app also gives you the option to add music to the video and adds visual effects on its own. The application was developed by GoPro, the famous ultra-high-end camera company, which is expanding its activity to the cellular field. Quik was included on software giant Google’s best apps of 2017, so you can be sure that this is a highly recommended editing tool.
If you don’t already have Quik, you can download it using the following links:
Download for Android users
Download for iPhone users
Now that you've downloaded the app to your smartphone, you can get to know Quik in depth and learn how to use it with the following guide.
Guide to using the main Quik options
1. Create a new video
Here's how to do this in Android:
- Once you download and launch the app for the first time, you'll see a welcome screen to create a new video (CREATE A NEW VIDEO). Press the blue button to begin the process.
- The app will access your photo gallery, from which you will be asked to select the images you want to include in the video you are preparing. Click on the images you want to add and they will be marked with a blue V and appear one by one, in the order of your choice, on the bottom of the screen. When you’ve finished selecting the images to include in your video, press the large blue button with a check on the lower left side of the screen.
- You can then give the video a title which will appear when you play it. Type in the title of the video, and then it will be created in the app and you can start editing it as you wish. In the following sections, you’ll learn about the various editing options.
Here's how to do it on the iPhone:
- To start creating a new video click on the Plus icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Your photo gallery will appear on the screen, from which you’ll be asked to choose the pictures that will appear in your video (starting from 6 or more images). When you’ve finished selecting the images, press the ADD button on the left side of the screen to create the video and start editing it. You can learn about the various editing options in the following sections.
2. Edit the video
A. Choose a style
Begin editing your video by choosing its unique style.
Here's how to do it on Android and iPhone:
- If you click on the icon on the bottom toolbar, you’ll open a scroll down menu that contains all the video styles that the app offers, such as "Action", "Dashing", "Time Lapse" and more. Scroll through the different styles, and the app will show you an example of how the video will look. Look at the different types and choose the style you want by clicking on it.
B. Edit Music
The app allows you to choose the music that will accompany the video you are creating and offers you a varied melody library, but it also allows you to add a song or melody of your own from the audio files on your smartphone.
Here's how to do this in Android:
- When you click on the music icon, you’ll be taken to the music adding tool. On the main screen you’ll find only a limited number of songs, but if you click on More Music you’ll reach the app’s music library screen with many options, which you can listen to by browsing through them.
- If you want to pick one of the songs on the Music Library screen to accompany your video, mark it and press the blue check button on the left side of the screen.
- If you want to add a song to your video from your smartphone, stay on the More Music screen and click the My Music tab on the top bar. There you’ll be shown all the audio files on your smartphone, and you can choose one of them.
Here's how to do this on your iPhone:
- Under the Playlist icon, you’ll find a menu containing lots of songs that you can add to the video. Scroll through them, listen to the different options and choose the one that suits you by clicking on it.
- If you want to add your own music to the video, scroll through the music library options, and at the end you’ll find My Music - click on it, then the blue check button that will appear under the video display screen and you’ll be moved to your private music folder where you can select any of the saved audio files on your smartphone.
C. Photo editing
With this option, you can edit any of the photos you've included in the video, and change the order in which they appear.
Here's how to do it on Android and iPhone:
- If you click on (on Android) or on (on iPhone) - both of which appear on the bottom toolbar – You’ll be taken to a screen that will show you the pictures you’ve chosen to insert into the video, one by one according to the order in which they appear. Select the image you want to edit and click on it. Android will go directly to the editing screen, while on the iPhone you’ll have to click on the pencil icon that will appear in the center of the image and then you’ll be transferred to the editing page.
- The screen that will open will provide you with different editing options for each of the images: adding text to the image itself (Add text), rotating the picture Rotate), focusing on a specific part of it (Focus), shortening or extending the length of the image in the video (Duration, and removing the picture from the video completely (Remove). Experiment with the various options and see how each affects the image you want to edit. When you finish editing, press the green check button (Android) or the blue OK (on your iPhone) to save your changes.
- If you want to change the order in which the images appear in the video, you can do so by moving them and repositioning them in the row of images that appear on this screen. Select the image you want to change, then click and hold the 8-point icon that will appear below, dragging it on the screen to the point in the video where you want it to appear. On iPhone, the pictures position will change instantly, while in Android you ‘ll need to press the green check button to save your changes.
D. More editing options
In addition, you can find several interesting editing options in the app, if you click on the icon (Android) or (iPhone). Here is a brief overview of some of the options:
- The automatic time set for each video you make is 27 seconds. If you want to change this, you can choose Duration, where you can extend or shorten it, as you see fit. The possible length ranges from 11 seconds to 45 seconds.
- If you don’t want the background music to start playing as soon as you open the video, only at a later point, press Music Start, and by dragging the cursor onto the music player, you can select the time point the music will start playing.
- You can choose the screen configuration of your video - the default is rectangular, but if you want to see the video differently, click on Cinema in Android or Format on iPhone, and you can make the video screen configuration to square.
3. Saving and distributing the video
Here's how to do this on Android:
Once you've finished editing your video, you can save it to the app, and send it to your friends and loved ones to share your beautiful memories with.
- Click on the icon which will appear in the large blue button on the left, and a screen with the various saving and distribution options will appear to you.
- If you choose Share Link, the app will create a link that you can send to your loved ones via e-mail, 0r SMS. If you click on Send File, you can send the video to whoever you want in the form of a downloadable file. If you don’t want to share the video at the moment, click Save Without Sharing and the app will save the video and display it on its main page, where you can edit it again and share it whenever you feel like it.
Here's how to do it on iPhone:
- Press the SAVE button on the bottom toolbar. On the screen, you’ll be presented with a series of options that will allow you to share your video with your loved one via e-mail, SMS, and so on. Select one of the options and the app will create a link to the video, which you can send to the person you choose using the option you selected.
- If you do not want to send the video at the moment, press the SKIP button at the top of the screen, and the application will save the video and display it on its main screen - My Stories.
All videos you create will appear on the app's Welcome screen, and you can watch and share them as you like.