When you hear the word ‘history,’ what do you imagine - a dusty book full of pages and pages of dates? In our opinion, history is the collection of all the most memorable, most unbelievable, or most fascinating stories humans have ever come to witness - both good and bad.
Instead of being a pile of long and dreary texts, we imagine history as an amalgamation of images, which together make up the collective story of humanity. Nothing can illustrate this idea like historical images. Take a peek at these unforgettable 16 photos, and see history from a brand new perspective.
1. Traffic enforcer stops cars in New York so a cat carrying a kitten can pass (1925)
2. Know the famous photo of construction workers having lunch on the half-finished Empire State Building? Here's the photographer who took that photo - Charles Ebbets (1932)
3. David Attenborough shows a cockatoo to Prince Charles and Princess Anne (1958)
4. Italian soldier feeds a local orphan in Mogadishu (1993)
5. Family photo of Samson Beaver with his wife Leah and daughter Frances Louise by Mary Schäffer (1907)
6. "John F. Kennedy campaigning Door-to-Door in West Virginia (1960)"
7. A submerged diver in 1899. This is believed to be the first underwater photograph ever taken!
8. West German schoolchildren talk with East German border guards near the Berlin Wall during the collapse of communism in East Germany (1989)
9. Man searching for a job by wearing his resume in England (1930s)
10. Florence Di Tullio, also known as "Winnie the Welder" in Connecticut by Bernard Hoffman (1943)
11. Women walking down a street in Kabul, Afghanistan (1972)
12. Man searching for books at the Public library of Cincinnati (the building was sadly demolished in 1955)
13. Max Schreck resting behind the scenes of Nosferatu (1922)
14. Sun shining down at passers-by at the Grand Central in New York City (1929) by Louis Faurer. Today, surrounding buildings block the sun, so this view is no longer possible to capture.
15. Behind the scenes of an episode of The French Chef with Julia Child (1963)
16. Rail commuters in California wearing face masks and displaying a “wear a mask or go to jail” sign during the 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic.
Share these fascinating photos with others!