What’s the coolest thing you ever found while strolling down the beach or exploring a nearby forest? I’m personally not especially lucky, or maybe I just don’t have the eye for these things, so I don’t have any personal stories to share. That said, I’m very well aware that there are plenty of fascinating historical finds and natural wonders waiting for all of us in the great outdoors. How do I know that? Well, after seeing these 15 finds and reading the stories behind them, you, too, will consider bringing a shovel or metal detector on your next hike or beach trip!
1. Wow! A nearly entirely intact Roman mosaic villa floor unearthed
2. "Fisherman found a giant pearl, weighing 34kg, but wasn't aware the $100 million pearl was so valuable and kept it as a lucky charm"
3. "Found this rock within a rock on a beach walk"
4. "My friend works in recycling. He found a filled diary from 1941"
5. "I found this pyrite fossil (ammonite) on an English beach."
6. "A sea weathered chunk of glacial ice made a perfect chair on a black sand beach in Iceland"
7. "Found a 94-year-old dollar on the ground today"
8. “I found this geometric pattern under the bark of a tree in the woods. It’s definitely organic”
9. “My brother found this ‘life-bulb’ that washed up on an Australian beach. It was all alive and could float.”
10. “My friend was splitting logs and found an arrowhead.”
11. “Yesterday, I found this message in a bottle on Floreana Island in the Galapagos.”
12. “Found this Roman coin in France while metal detecting. Emperor Constantine I, minted in Trier (Treveri) Germany, likely bronze from the year 306 CE to 337 CE!”
13. “I broke this rock and found 2 kinds of fossils.”
14. This person found a message in a bottle while fishing
15. “My friend just found this little statue. The archeologists from the museum told him that it’s probably from a grave dating back to 3,000 or 4,000 years ago.”