A vacation well spent is one spent at the beach, and no day at the beach is complete without sunbathing and sandcastles. A few buckets and shovels are all it takes to make your own little fantasy mansion in the sand, complete with a moat and a plastic dinosaur on guard (playing the role of a fire-breathing dragon, of course). For some people, making sandcastles is more than just a fun beach-day pastime.
Sculpting castles in the sand is a true art form, constructing minute architectural masterpieces that royalty would dream of living in. These castles don’t have the longest lifespan, given the impact of high tide and heavy winds, but they are nonetheless breathtaking. These 25 sand sculptures will truly leave you in awe.
1. The kingdom is watched over by two great guardians
2. If you want to use the train, you’ll have to walk through the forest
3. The rocks keep the castle safe from sea-based attacks
4. I want to live in a castle that reaches for the sky!
5. Every day the King’s subjects gather in the Colosseum
6. What mermaids really look like
7. The vines made their way from the garden and weaved themselves through the palace
8. This kingdom has an extremely unique style of architecture
9. "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your long sandy hair"
10. There’s the fire-breathing dragon we were looking for!
11. An underwater castle in the sand
12. Does the princess live all alone there?
13. Not just the castle, but the whole gorgeous kingdom
14. The witch lived in a castle deep in the midst of the forbidden forest
15. Upgrading from a dog house to a dog castle
16. Winter has arrived and the people prepare for the snowy festivities
17. Not so much a castle as a fully-populated fortress!
18. A miniature kingdom in Valencia, Spain
19. Sandcastle competitions really bring out the true masterpieces
20. A splash of color with absolute symmetry is sheer perfection
21. A little rustic but comprehensive nonetheless
22. There’s only one way to get into this fortified castle
23. A familiar palace with a little mouse-door built-in
24. Welcome to Copacabana! It’s the hottest spot north of Havana, you know
25. And finally, a castle that is every advertiser's dream!