Vitamin D is a crucially important vitamin when it comes to the development of strong bones. This is why it's vital for children to take a supplement with 400 IU of vitamin D if they aren't getting enough from food.
The majority of kids don't actually require higher doses of vitamin D though, so those that do should get their vitamin D status checked (serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone levels).
Popular vitamin D and calcium gummies include:
• L'il Critters Calcium Gummy Bears with Vitamin D
• L'il Critters Vitamin D Gummy Bears
• Flintstones Gummies Plus Bone Building Support (has Calcium and vitamin D)
• NBA All-Star Vitamin D Gummies
• Rhino Gummy Calci-Bears with Vitamin D
2. Vitamin C Gummies
Practically all multivitamins for children are going to contain vitamin C since it is so absolutely essential for their development and wellbeing. Most children get enough vitamin C from the food and drinks they consume, but if you want to make sure that your child has enough, then consider purchasing any of these:
• L'il Critters Immune C Gummy Bears
• Flintstones Gummies Plus Immunity Support (has extra vitamin C)
• Rhino Gummy Chewy C
• Yummi Bears vitamin C
3. Fish Oil Gummies
The food pyramid recommends that children consume "fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, trout, and herring," since it can help to prevent coronary artery disease. However, due to the fact that many children refuse to eat fish, and the fact that certain parents believe that fish oil promotes brain development and help prevents certain diseases, many children are given a high omega-3 fish oil supplement that contains DHA and EPA, despite there being no scientific studies available to prove that they are beneficial.
If you would like to give your child fish oil supplements, these are the most popular options:
• L'il Critters Omega-3 Gummy Fish
• Marvel Heroes Gummies - a multivitamin that includes DHA
• Yummi Bears DHA
• Clifford Multi-Vitamin + Brain Health - a multivitamin that includes omega-3 fatty acids
• Coromega Omega3 Gummy Fruits for Kids
• Disney Gummies Multivitamin (various characters) - includes DHA
• Iron Kids Gummies Omega-3's
4. Other Gummy Supplements
Other types of gummy vitamins commonly given to children include:
• L'il Critters Fruit and Veggie Gummy Bears (antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E)
• Rhino Gummy Veggie-Fruit (antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E)
• Little Tummy's Fruity Fiber Gummies
• Pedia-Lax Fiber Gummies
The top two are supplements which include the vitamins A, C, and E, all of which can be used as immunity builders to try and prevent infections. The bottom two are gummy vitamins that contain a significant amount of dietary fiber, which are especially good for kids who don't like to eat any fruit or vegetables.
Warnings & Precautions
If you choose to give your kids any vitamins or supplements, then make sure that you follow these precautions:
• Keep all vitamins out of reach of children, since accidental over-consumption could prove harmful.
• Many multivitamins for kids do not contain iron and often only contain a small amount of calcium. Make sure to choose one that contains ample amounts of both if your child really requires them.
• If you give your child multiple supplements, make sure that they contain entirely different ingredients, since taking multiple dosages of the same vitamin or mineral can have serious side effects.
• Always consult a pediatrician before giving your kids any supplements.