There are photos that speak for themselves, and there are also those that require more context for us to really appreciate them. These 25 fascinating photos may seem ordinary or odd at first glance, but once you read the stories behind them, everything automatically falls into place, and a new poignant level of meaning to these photos is revealed.
1. "John Thompson was home alone when he had both his arms ripped off in a farming accident. However, he still managed to get up and dial for help by holding a pencil in his mouth. He survived and both his arms were reattached."
2. A farewell to an entire species: this is a photo of the very last male Northern White Rhino (2018)
3. This is what a sunset looks like from space
4. "These so-called wine windows were used by vintners in Italy to sell wine during plague pandemics in the 17th century. Now they are coming back to use due to coronavirus."
5. This is no ordinary flower - it's the first flower grown in space
6. Hanako was the oldest known koi fish. It died at the age of 226 in 1966
7. One of the few surviving intact pyramid capstones
8. These two women are biracial twin sisters. They were born to a white father and a half-Jamaican mother
9. A selfie of anti poachers guarding the gorillas
10. Turkish garbage collectors opened a library containing the books citizens threw in the trash
11. "Certain fish skin can be grafted onto burns and diabetic wounds. The material recruits the body's own cells and is converted eventually into living tissue."
12. This Korean news program is the only one that doesn't use an artificial city backdrop
13. "A rare view of the Statue of Liberty from the balcony on its torch. The exit there has been closed since 1916."
14. The Maldivian president signing a climate change document at the world's first underwater cabinet
15. A mini bonsai apple tree that grew a full-sized apple
16. An HD Image of a waning moon
17. The Tomb of Ramesses VI, The Valley of Kings, Egypt
18. A photo of Terry Fox, a 21-year-old Canadian who lost a leg to cancer during his east to west cross-Canada run. Fox raised money for cancer research and spread awareness about cancer.
19. These two unlikely friends were seen traveling, hunting, and sharing food together for 10 days
20. This man is Daisuke Inoue, the inventor of karaoke. He refused to patent the machine because he wanted to "teach the world to sing"
21. This cute ceremony is called 'Kukur Tihar' in Nepal. It's the day dedicated to dogs are their loyalty
22. "This is the only existing photo of Chernobyl taken on the morning of the nuclear accident. The heavy grain is due to the huge amount of radiation in the air that began to destroy the camera film the second it was exposed."
23. A macro photo of an ant raising a piece of wood
24. An accidental photo of a falling meteor
25. And last, but definitely not least: these three Jewish men arrived in Auschwitz on the same day and were tattooed 10 numbers apart. 73 years later, they were reunited for the first time
Share these poignant photos with others!