Avocado contains a toxin called persin that can have toxic effects on dogs, depending on the breed. A dog that ate an avocado might develop various problems such as an upset stomach, breathing difficulties and fluid buildup in the chest. The pit of the avocado is especially dangerous and can be accidentally swallowed whole by the dog.
Yes bacon is meat, yes bacon is delicious, and no you should not give it to your dog. Bacon, and other fatty foods, can lead to pancreatitis in dogs, and you certainly don’t want that to happen. It's a disease that causes a series of problems with digestion and nutrient absorption.
If bread makes us a bit fat and puffy, then you know it's even worse for your dog. Raw yeast dough from making bread can ferment in a dog's stomach and, after some time, it will become toxic. In addition, yeast dough can also expand in your dog's stomach or intestines and create a large amount of gas in the digestive system. This will be very painful for your dog and might even lead to a ruptured stomach.
While all dogs drink milk as puppies, the milk we buy and drink is very different. Also, much like humans, some dogs can suffer from lactose intolerance. The consumption of milk could lead to vomiting and diarrhea, and while these are not life-threatening, they can contribute to serious bacterial exposure that is unpleasant for both you and the dog.
Chocolate is well known for being bad for dogs. It contains caffeine and theobromine which are dangerous for many animals, including dogs. If eaten by a dog, chocolate can cause vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pain, severe agitation and in extreme cases, death.
While onions are not too friendly to humans, they can do a lot more than just give your dog watery eyes. They contain compounds that can be harmful to dogs and might damage their red blood cells. If a dog eats too much onion, a blood transfusion might be necessary to give him some healthy blood back.
Grapes and raisins are extremely toxic to dogs and the results of their consumption can be devastating. The biggest risk is rapid kidney failure after eating, vomiting or diarrhea. Death from kidney failure may occur within three to four days, so don't take any risks if you love your dog.
Coffee is another big no-no for dogs. They have such a relaxed life and so much natural energy that they really don’t need it. Coffee contains a stimulant known as Methylated Xanthine that stimulates the nervous system in dogs. This can make the dog restless in a bad way, and may lead to vomiting, heart palpitations or even death.
An uneaten apple core thrown on the ground or in the trash can be a real danger to your dog. The apple core, and many other fruit cores, contain cyanogenic glycosides, also known as cyanide. It may cause dizziness, breathing difficulty, seizures, collapsing, hyperventilation and shock.
Macadamia nuts are a part of a recent discovery of foods that are great for us but bad for our dogs. The specific chemicals are still unknown, but they cause a toxic reaction in dogs if ingested. Look out for symptoms such as weakness and inability to walk, as well as vomiting, depression and tremors.
Just like milk, cheese has sugars and fatty components that might be difficult for dogs to break down. Symptoms like gas, diarrhea and vomiting are all possible if a dog eats too much cheese.
When it comes to garlic, consider your dog a vampire and keep it away from him. Garlic is much like an onion for a dog, only much more dangerous. A few days after eating some garlic, the dog will seem to be tired and reluctant to move. Another good way to detect this is if the dog's urine is orange to dark red in color. Like eating onions, a blood transfusion might be required in severe cases.