You’re surely familiar with the idiom, “Don’t play with fire.” If taken literally, the famous saying is certainly sound advice, but it barely scratches the surface of all those terrible things that can set your property aflame. Take mirrors, for example. These seemingly harmless objects can wreak havoc on a home, vehicle, or yard, and we rarely realize just how dangerous they can be.
And it's not only mirrors that can concentrate sunshine and turn it into a devastating beam, any reflective surface has the potential to set any object aflame. Don't believe us? These 11 creepy pictures are real-life evidence of the fact that we should all be more careful with reflective surfaces than we think.
1. This poor boy accidentally set the lawn on fire with a magnifying mirror he got for Christmas
2. The sunlight shining at a make-up mirror caused this fire in a house in Nottinghamshire, England
3. This ball-shaped bottle of water is essentially a spherical magnifying glass that sets surrounding objects on fire whenever it is in the sun for more than a minute.
4. This man's lawn set on fire after he washed his car. The rims created a magnifying effect on the grass and started a lawn fire
5. "The glass globe of this light focused the sunlight enough to burn the sun's path in the grass."
6. This house fire was started by the light reflecting from a bedroom mirror
7. The sun shining through this crystal ball burned a hole in one of these books
8. As she was putting on her make up in front of a window, the mirror she was using burned a hole in the laptop's screen
9. "The chip bowl acted as a parabolic mirror and set a chip on fire."
10. A woman accidentally left her mirror in front of the window over the day. This is what she found when she came back.
11. This London skyscraper is known as the 'walkie-talkie'. The south-facing wall of this building is covered in reflective glass, and it melts cars and sets buildings aflame
Share these photos with family and friends!