Some structures just take our breath away with their sheer size and intricate beauty. While we're all familiar with well-known engineering marvels like the Pyramids of Giza or the Taj Mahal, there are many other infrastructural beauties you may be less familiar with. In this post, we collected 15 photos of amazing infrastructures around the globe. From a football stadium that overlooks majestic mountains to stunning bridges, these great engineering marvels will leave you transfixed.
1. Normandy Bridge (Pont De Normandie), France
2. Tuned Mass Damper of Taipei 101. A tuned mass damper is a device mounted in structures to prevent damage or structural failure by vibration. It basically acts as a giant pendulum and moves back and forth to counter any movement of the building. This one in Taiwan is the world’s largest and heaviest tuned mass damper.
3. Kechut Reservoir, Jermuk, Armenia
4. The Dresden Suspension Railway, the second-oldest of its kind, dates back to 1901
5. The Sea Cliff Bridge, Australia
6. A car elevator in Chicago, circa 1936
7. Amager Bakke (Amager Hill), a waste-to-energy plant in Copenhagen, Denmark
8. The Stockholm Telephone Tower with approximately 5,500 telephone lines, 1890
9. Liujiaxia Bridge, Gansu Province, China
10. A closer look at the finer details of the Manhattan Bridge, New York
11. Three Gorges Dam 5-Step Ship Lock, Yangtze River, China
12. The back portion of the Hoover Dam, Nevada, USA)
13. This is what an oil rig looks like before it is underwater
14. Henningsvaer Stadion, a small football field located in the village in the Lofoten Islands off the coast of northern Norway. It has got no stands, but the location is majestic
15. The Eco-Link, an ecological bridge in the Bukit Timah Expressway in Singapore. It connects the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and Central Catchment Nature Reserve and allows animals to move from one forest area to another
Share these stunning photos with friends and family...