Books have the unique and magical ability to take us on a journey that we create in our own minds, to garner our creativity and allow us to be swept away into our imaginary world. Unlike a film where the setting is created for us, reading is interactive and allows us to participate in the story and paint the characters and their surroundings. This is exactly why books and reading continue to be the pastime of choice for so many people worldwide and will be in the future, no matter how advanced our technology becomes.
Are you an avid reader and a lover of the written word? Or maybe, on the contrary, you regret that you haven’t picked up a book in a while? These 18 beautiful and inspiring quotes uttered by some of the greatest minds in history will surely make you crave a good book.
1. “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” -Charles W. Eliot
2. “An hour spent reading is one stolen from paradise.” -Thomas Wharton
3. “You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” -Paul Sweeney
4. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” -Stephen King
5. “Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” -Mason Cooley
6. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies… The man who never reads lives only one.” -George R. R. Martin
7. “I have always imagined paradise as a kind of library.” -Jorge Luis Borges
8. “Reading takes us away from home, but more important, it finds homes for us everywhere.” -Hazel Rochman
9. “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” -Cicero
10. “It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.” -Oscar Wilde
11. “That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.” -Jhumpa Lahiri
12. “The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read.” -Mark Twain
13. “A beggar’s book out-worths a noble’s blood.” -William Shakespeare
14. “Maybe this is why we read, and why in moments of darkness we return to books: to find words for what we already know.” -Alberto Manguel
15. “Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.” -Voltaire
16. “Think before you speak. Read before you think.” -Fran Lebowitz
17. “Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.” -Anna Quindlen
18. “Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier.” -Kathleen Norris
Share these enriching quotes with other avid readers!