Frank Sinatra is widely seen as the first modern superstar of popular music, with an entertainment career that spanned more than five decades. He was born in Hoboken, New Jersey on December 12, 1915, the only child of Italian immigrants Martin and Natalie Sinatra. Sinatra knew from an early age that he was destined for the stage. He dropped out of high school in order to chase his dreams and became the master of romantic ballads during World War II. His appeal began to wane in the late 1940s, but Sinatra had the rare ability to reinvent himself, and had a spectacular comeback in the 1950s, this time with a rougher, more world-weary singing style.
In addition to his great success in music, Sinatra had also appeared in many movies, becoming the epitome of show-business success. As a prominent figure with such vast life experience, Sinatra had some very memorable and inspiring quotes on life, love, success, and more. Here are the 13 of his most remarkable utterances.
1. "The best revenge is massive success."
2. "You only go around once, but if you play your cards right, once is enough."
3. "Don’t respond to negativity with more negativity. Just put your head down and prove your critics wrong."
Related: Frank Sinatra’s Music is Timeless, As This Playlist Proves
4. "Don’t hide your scars. They make you who you are."
5. "The big lesson in life, baby, is never be scared of anyone or anything."
Related: 14 Smart and Insightful Quotes By Andy Warhol
6. "For what is a man, what has he got. If not himself, then he has naught."
7. "Dare to wear the foolish clown face."
8. "I would like to be remembered as a man who had a wonderful time living life, a man who had good friends, fine family – and I don’t think I could ask for anything more than that, actually."
Related: Frank Sinatra: Young at Heart
9. "Whatever else has been said about me personally is unimportant. When I sing, I believe. I’m honest."
10. "A friend is never an imposition."
11. "Love is when you want to sing every day and night. Without fee and a manager."
12. "It took me a long, long time to learn what I now know, and I don’t want that to die with me."
13. "If you possess something but you can’t give it away, then you don’t possess it … it possesses you."
Share these wise words with your friends and family