The Nikon photography awards are a long-standing tradition, started by the corporation in 1969. Its aim is ‘to provide an opportunity for photographers around the world to communicate and to enrich image-making culture’, according to the official website. Looking at the winners of 2019, it looks like this aspiration has totally been achieved. Take a look at these fascinating images revealing human moments from around the world.
1. Grand Prize - Ayimpoka by Sara De Antonio Feu
This picture was taken during the photographer's visit to Bolgatanga, a small town in Ghana. It features Ayiampoka, a girl born with albinism, which is associated with many superstitions and prejudice in the area. The girl is being held and supported by another girl, possibly her sister.
2. Participants' Choice Prize - Harvesting Season by Huaming Zhao
This photo captures the bamboo harvesting season in China.
3. Silver Prize - A Grandfather's Emotions by Ziheng Wang
A young bride saying farewell to her family on her wedding day.
4. Bronze Prize - Curious Faces by Istvan Kerekes
Syrian Migrants seen through a train window in a transit zone in Hungary.
5. Gold Prize - Alma and Alzheimer's by Jason Parnell-Brookes
The photographer captured a moment in this couple's life - Alma having Dinner while her husband Donald, who is suffering from Alzheimer's, sits in the background.
6. Silver Prize - I want to tell you a story by Antonio Aiello
An old Italian woman holding a photo of her first holy communion.
7. Silver Prize - I am TIRED. by Eghosa Eguakun
A tired child in the backseat of a car.
8. Bronze Prize - Mountains hope for a better future by Milad Safabakhsh
This photo is a part of a series on the topic of women in Iran.
9. Bronze Prize - Generation Gap by Manojit Mitra
An old man working hard on his sewing machine, while his grandson is trying to focus on his studies in these hard circumstances.
10. Bronze Prize - Chehel Minabri by Mohammad Hossein Madadi
A woman taking part in a tradition called Chehel Minabri in Iran, in which women commemorate the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein.
11. Special Mention - Tokyo Underground by Ayu Watanabe
This photo is a part of a series capturing the way women are perceived by society and themselves in the social media era.
12. Bronze Prize - Mourning by Shahryar Hosein Beygi
This photo is a part of a series, capturing a ritual taking place in Iran, in which the people mourn the death of a religious leader who was killed 1300 years ago.
13. Special Mention - After Hurricane IRMA by Valentina Fomina
This photo is a part of a series capturing the streets of Havana after hurricane IRMA.