header print

Plants that May Kill You

 As beautiful as nature may be, it does have its dangerous points too. However, we very much assume that the dangerous stuff looks scary, while the harmless stuff looks beautiful, or at the very least, unassuming. But it may come as a surprise to learn that plants and flowers - often beautiful - rank among the most dangerous on the planet. Take a look: 

Rosary Pea

plants that could kill you

This pretty flower is native to tropical areas. It was given the name for the jewel and prayer rosaries that were created using its berries, which very much resemble pomegranate seeds. But, you cannot eat them as it contains a poison which weeds its way into the body's cells, preventing them from creating essential proteins, which, if left untreated can lead to death. 

White Snakeroot

During the early days of American settlement in Indiana and Ohio, it is estimated that up to half of the deaths of the early settlers, including Lincoln's mother, Nancy, were caused by ingesting tremetol found in White Snakeroot. In fact, it is considered to be one of the most poisonous plants. Cattle and other livestock who ate White Snakeroot would quickly develop a muscular degenerative disease known as the trembles. The tremetol would then end up in the animal's milk and anyone who drank it would get deathly ill.

Deadly Nightshade

plants that could kill you

As the name implies, this plant is deadly. This is due to the atropine and scopolamine in the stems, leaves, berries, and roots. The plant is incredibly poisonous to the body, eventually causing paralysis in the involuntary muscles of the body - including the heart. Rubbing up against the plant can cause irritation of the skin. 

Water Hemlock

It's unlikely that you are familiar with the plant's claim to fame: killing Socrates. The plant contains the toxin cicutoxin, which when ingested, acts directly on the central nervous system, causing violent convulsions. 

Lily of the Valley

plants that could kill you

This outdoor ornamental herb is a popular staple of outdoor gardens but it can be incredibly toxic due to the cardiac glycosides and saponins present in the plants which can affect the heart if eaten. The Lily of the Valley is so toxic that cases have been reported of people and animals falling ill by merely drinking water the plant happened to be in. 


While rhubarb pie tastes great, ingesting large amounts of the plant's leaves can kill you as it contains deadly oxalic acid which if ingested in high amounts can cause kidney failure. Best avoid eating the stems and leaves altogether. 


plants that could kill you

This plant produces digoxin, an active ingredient in digitalis, a heart failure medication. Ingesting it is like taking an unregulated dose of heart medicine, which can inversely cause heart failure. Keep this plant far away from kids and pets. 


Only the flower buds are truly harmful if ingested. Humans can experience an upset stomach, skin irritation, as well as convulsions and coma. Still, pesky rabbits who manage to avoid the plant's poisonous wrath do love hydrangeas. 


plants that could kill you

These plants are low-maintenance and require little care, which is why they have become a popular houseplant. But, there is a toxin in their leaves called calcium oxalate, which can cause inflammation of the mucous membranes or the mouth and throat when ingested, While it's not deadly in adults, it can prove fatal to small kids and pets. 


Ingesting daffodils won't kill you if treated quickly. But if left untreated they can be fatal to small children and pets. Parts of the daffodil contain the toxic chemical lycorine, which can do the most damage to your body including severe burning of the lips, throat, and tongue. If throat pain, difficulty swallowing, and severe drooling persist after a few hours get to a doctor. 

Next Post
Sign Up for Free Daily Posts!
Did you mean:
By clicking "Join", you agree to our T&C and Privacy Policy
Related Topics: tips, plants, house, guide, baba recommends, deadly
Sign Up for Free Daily Posts!