1. The opening ceremony of the 1896 Olympic Games in the Panathenaic Stadium in Athens.
2. Females compete in the archery event of the 1908 Summer Olympics in London.
3. An elephant performs at a garden party hosted for Olympic athletes by Britain's Lord Michelham in 1914.
4. Captured, American track and field athlete Howard P. Drew on his way to the 1912 Summer Olympics in Stockholm.
5. Female Danish gymnasts practice at the 1908 London Olympics.
6. Captured in July 1924, American gymnasts practice their stunts.
7. During the tug of war event in 1920, England defeats the United States.
8. Irish and German nationals compete in the Bicycle polo final during the 1908 Summer Olympics in London.
9. Isao Fujiki and Takeshi Koyama, members of the Japanese team, train for the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam.
10. Pictured, the commencement of the marathon during the 1908 Summer Olympics at Windsor Castle in London.
11. Actor Fay Wray and aviator Amelia Earhart attend the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles on Aug. 1, 1932.
12. Left: Olympic champion weightlifter Roger Francois, year unknown. Right: An unidentified Olympic woman fencer poses for a portrait, circa 1900.
13. Wrestlers train for the Olympic games, circa 1930.
14. A fleet of vans with their drivers pose for a portrait before transporting competitors between the various sporting events at the 1948 Summer Olympics in London.
15. Females compete in the 800-meter sprint in 1922.
16. Left: American swimmer Johnny Weissmuller prepares to compete in the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam. Right: Canadian athlete Ethel Catherwood poses for a photo after winning the women's high jump in the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam.
17. Track and field star Percy Williams of Canada is treated by coach Bob Granger at the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam.
18. After his win during the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki, Czechoslovak long-distance runner Emil Zátopek kisses his wife.
19. Mexican athletes pose for a photo before boarding their ship to participate in the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris.
20. Olympic gold medalist swimmer Duke Kahanamoku, fourth from left, stands with other swimmers in 1921.
21. German bobsledders Andreas Ostler and Lorenz Nieberl share a kiss after they scored in the two-man bobsled event at the 1952 Summer Olympics in Oslo.
22. Young fans run along beside the American Olympic sprinter Jesse Owens as he takes his early morning run in London, 1936.