If you’re abroad and have an accident or become ill, the insurance will cover your medical costs. Emergency dental treatment is often included and emergency transportation services are often also covered.
Emergency medical evacuations will get you out of a remote area and transported to a place where you can receive the required medical attention. If you die on your trip, the repatriation coverage will ensure that your body is transported home or to a funeral home nearby. This ensures that your family won’t have to spend thousands to get your body back.
Examples of Why You Might Need Emergency Medical Coverage
• You’re on a business trip and contract a severe case of food poisoning.
• You trip on a cobblestone street and break a tooth.
• You are traveling in a foreign country and are injured in a fall.
• You are in a bad traffic accident.
• You want the assurance of having travel medical assistance services to help you in an emergency.
What Does it Cover?
The following coverage is typically found in a Travel Medical Insurance Plan:
• Reimbursements for unexpected medical costs due to emergency medical attention.
• Reimbursement for unexpected dental costs due to an accident.
• Advance payments to medical facilities and emergency medical transportation should you need it.
• AD&D and travel accident benefits to help take care of you or your family if you’re seriously injured or killed while traveling.
• Emergency travel assistance services to help you locate a local and appropriate medical facility to care for your medical needs and those of your family.
The best place we've found to get a quote for medical insurance cost is Visitor's Coverage - We found the best coverage and quotes right here.
Since travel medical insurance doesn’t provide trip cancellation and other package-like benefits, the cost of the plan is usually quite economical.
For example, a single trip travel medical plan can range from $40-80 for a relatively short overseas trip. In general, the premium amount for a travel medical plan is based on:
• The length of the trip
• The age of the traveler
• The medical and evacuation coverage limits
How to Buy Travel Medical Insurance
There are two options for buying travel insurance – the best option is to compare plans from all companies, get quotes, and purchase your travel insurance online:
• Compare plans from all companies: Compare travel insurance plans, get quotes, and buy online.
• Quote and buy direct: Review the travel insurance companies and plans and purchase directly from the company.