It’s known that oranges and other citrus fruits are a rich source of vitamin C. For example, one medium-sized orange provides about 80% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C and can greatly strengthen the immune system, especially on cold winter days.
Besides squeezing it into a refreshing juice, peeling it into tasty slices or using the orange peels to zest up your meals, there is another way to take advantage of the health benefits of the orange, and when it comes to colds accompanied by a heavy cough, it is definitely preferable. Here's how you can make a home remedy for a cough using an orange:
1. Take a medium orange and place it on a saucer.
2. Remove the top of the orange (don’t throw it away).
3. Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt on the center of the orange.
4. Put the top back (use a toothpick to keep it from moving.)
5. Place the saucer in a Pyrex bowl and place the bowl in a pot of water over a flame.