Chicken Fajitas (Makes 8)
• 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 medium garlic cloves
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• Juice of 1 medium lime
• 3 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 medium bell pepper (any color), cored and sliced into 1/2 inch strips
• 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
• 8 6-inch tortillas (corn or flour)
• Guacamole, salsa, and sour cream for serving (optional)
1. Place the cilantro, garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, lime juice, and 2 tablespoons of oil in a shallow baking dish and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and turn to coat with the marinade. Set the chicken aside for 10 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken pieces, season with salt and pepper, and cook undisturbed until well browned on the bottom - about 10 minutes. Flip, season the second side with salt and pepper, and cook undisturbed until well browned and cooked through - about 10 minutes more. Place the chicken on a cutting board and let it rest while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
3. Place the bell pepper and the onion into a medium bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Place the veggies on the grill pan in a single layer. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender and slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Transfer the veggies to a serving dish. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas.
4. Heat a medium cast iron or frying pan over high heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Place a tortilla in the dry pan and heat, flipping once, until warmed on both sides. Wrap the tortilla in a clean dishtowel to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
5. Slice the chicken against the grain into 1/2 -inch-thick pieces and place in the serving dish alongside the vegetables. To serve, fill a warm tortilla with chicken and vegetables and top with salsa, sour cream and guacamole - if using.