March 13th, 2017: Today's News Headlines
• US, Germany Relations Set to Be Tested
• American Cocker Spaniel Crowned Top Dog at Crufts
• Bus Plows into Parade in Haiti, Killing 38
• Landslide Victories Foreshadow India’s Radical Reform
• 60 Elephants enjoy a Special Fruit Buffet
Click on the videos below for the stories behind the headlines. Then click beneath each one to send the story to a friend.
On This Day
On March 13th 1781, William Herschel spots a “comet” in the night sky, though he had in fact discovered the planet Uranus. In a curious accident of history, on the same day in 1930 Clyde Tombaugh of the Lowell Observatory announced that Pluto had also been discovered. Though recently scientists have debated whether Pluto can really be considered a planet since it is surrounded by other objects of a similar bulk.
Trump and Merkel’s Big Meet Sees Germany and US at Crossroads
Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, prepares to come to Washington to meet President Trump – who has severely criticized her open borders policies - for the first time.