“The nature in Australia is astonishing, with koalas, kangaroos, wombats, and platypuses being some of the cutest animals in the world. Wouldn’t it be so much fun to go and see these adorable furry critters in their natural habitat?”
That’s exactly what you might think if you don’t know about all the absolutely terrifying creepy crawlies that share their habitat with all the cuddly animals. We’re sorry to break it to you, but in Australia, everything is giant, creepy, venomous or otherwise death-inducing (including the cute platypuses which, as it turns out, are venomous, too). And if you think you’ll be safe in civilization, think again. These 21 pictures are proof that Australia is a terrifying place to visit.
1. This is why you should ALWAYS check your shoes, bed, and even your toilet in Australia
2. I guess I'll have to check the meter some other day... or maybe never again...
3. When you decide to take a morning walk during spider frost season, you might feel like you're in a horror movie
4. Giant Australian earthworms like this one can grow up to 1m (3.3 ft) Long
5. Having rodent problems in Australia? Using a sticky trap might urge you to reconsider what the real issue is...
6. So they say Huntsmen spiders are the LEAST dangerous spiders you can find in Australian households and gardens... Need we say more?
7. "Honey, are you sure about that BBQ tonight? 'cause we might have a small bee problem again..."
8. Fair Warning: while taking a walk in Australia, you might casually stumble upon a python fighting a giant bat, or a combination of any other giant and terrifying creatures
9. And when you decide to go to the beach, you might find all kinds of things washed ashore, like this armed anemone, the stings of which can cause painful wounds that take months to heal
10. Also, you might not want to be stuck in a hailstorm in Australia
11. And If you feel a tickle on the back of your neck, pray for your life...
12. At a clothing store, you might not be the only one shopping for a cute outfit
13. What is that extra black chord on the fuel dispenser? Oh... Well, of course, it's a snake, you're in Australia, after all
14. If you think this tiny octopus is cute, think again: it's a blue-ringed octopus and it has enough venom to kill 26 adult humans in a matter of minutes
15. "Let's just say we never open the windows again, okay? Okay"
16. And for those of you looking for the most awkward, but certainly not the most painless way to die in Australia, enter the Araucaria Pine Cone, which is known to kill people when falling
17. Hundreds of Portuguese man o' war jellyfish washed ashore, not the best day for a swim
18. Woman found one of the most venomous snakes in the world in her child's lunch box
19. If you think it's best to visit the country in the winter, keep in mind that in Southwestern Australia, winter is the Black Portuguese millipede invasion season. We wish we were kidding...
20. How could we forget about sharks and giant crocodiles? Somehow it's less scary when you know they're busy fighting each other though
21. And finally, this is definitely a rollercoaster for the frogs, but also an emotional rollercoaster for whoever experienced this in real life