1. Positive Reinforcement - This is always the first thing you should try. Simply praise your child any time they do what they are told. Kids normally behave in the way they think adults expect them to, so if you keep accusing your child of being loud, he will eventually believe that that is his true nature. If you praise them every time they are quiet, then they may learn to stay that way.
2. Be Clear - How quiet do you actually want your kids to be? Do you simply want them to stop yelling or is it total silence that you are after?
3. Talk to Them - Explain just how important stillness and silence is - how it can relax the mind and body, and enable you to get in touch with what's going on within you.
4. Set Aside Quiet Times - These are times when nobody will be allowed to use any electronic gadgets whatsoever. You can use this time to read together or have a quiet conversation.
5. Go For Walks - This will allow your kids to the beauty and wonder of solitude. You'll be able to focus on birdsong and the other soothing sounds of nature.
6. Drive in Silence - Just because you're in the car, it doesn't mean that you have to put the radio. Encourage your kids to occasionally sit in silence, and to absorb the view from the car window.
Four Steps to Quiet Down a Noisy Kid
If all else fails, and your child is throwing a terrible tantrum, then these 4 S's should be all that it takes to quiet them down:
1. STOP: Stop whatever you're doing and pay attention to your child. Are they afraid? Upset? Hungry? Excited?
2. SQUAT: When you get down to your child’s level and look them in the eye, it will make them feel appreciated and will also allow you to properly assess the situation.
3. SHHH: You need to smile, move slowly and lower your voice. It not only demonstrates ideal behavior for your child, but it may also quiet them down just so they can hear what you are saying.
4. SING: If they still won't be consoled, then you can try singing quietly. A familiar song may help to soothe them on a visceral level.
Want to see NO ADS or pop ups ever again?
Become a premium member and get the best version of BabaMail!To purchase a premium subscription, we want to log you in more safely, please log in first or open a new free account by clicking on Login.