For centuries, people have used apple cider vinegar as a cleaning agent and health treatment. Apple cider vinegar fans claim that it’s a natural preservative, a source of nutrients, and a disinfectant. However, not a lot of people know that it’s great for your dog too. It can help to improve digestive health, control pests, and clear up skin and ear infections. Below are 7 ways you can use apple cider vinegar on your dogs.
Washing Your Dog with Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Make a Rinse to Improve Your Dog’s Skin and Coat
After having washed your dog how you normally would brush some apple cider vinegar through your dog’s coat. This will improve the shine of your dog’s coat and will also act as a deodorant. Don’t use apple cider vinegar if your dog's skin is broken, dry, or otherwise irritated.
2. Clean out Your Dog’s Ears
The antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar make it a great option to clean out your dog’s ears. This will help to prevent infection and ward off parasites. Soak a small cotton ball or a clean cloth in the vinegar and gently wipe your dog’s ears as carefully as you can.
3. Spray Your Dog’s Coat to Repel fleas
If your dog spends a lot of time outdoors in the summer, apple cider vinegar can help keep the fleas away. Simply mix two cups of water and two cups of apple cider vinegar in a clean spray bottle. Spray your dog’s fur with the mixture once a week.
4. Bathe in Apple Cider Vinegar to Fight Fleas
If your dog already has fleas, you can drown them by using a mixture of soapy water and apple cider vinegar. Make a mixture of ½ a gallon of water, ¼ cup of dish soap, and ½ gallon of apple cider vinegar.
Bathe your dog in the solution. Cover every part of its fur and use your fingers to work the solution all the way to the skin. You will want to work up a good lather to kill the fleas. Let the solution sit on your dog for around 10 minutes, before washing off. Avoid getting any of the solution in your dog’s eyes.
Treating Your Dog with Apple Cider Vinegar
5. Improve Your Dog’s General Health by Using Apple Cider Vinegar Twice a Week
Feeding your dog apple cider vinegar will help keep its skin and fur healthy as well as keeping fleas away. Simply add a teaspoon to your dog’s water bowl twice a week.
6. Treat Your Dog’s Digestive Problems
If your dog has constipation or diarrhea, try giving them apple cider vinegar once a day. Simply add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to their water bowl daily. If your dog is over 50 pounds, give them two teaspoons daily.
7. Make an Apple Cider Vinegar Mixture That Your Dog LovesIf your canine friend doesn’t like the taste or smell of apple cider vinegar, then it’s best not to force it to eat it. You can mix it in with their food, or create a special apple cider vinegar treat by mixing it with a teaspoon of peanut butter.
Content and Image Source