Australia gets mixed reviews among tourists. While many people ironically point out how Australian nature is deadly and dangerous, others point out the many amazing things about the Land Down Under, like the delicious coffee, the most beautiful beaches, and the friendly locals. What other things pleasantly surprised travelers when they first visited Australia? Here is a short but fascinating list.
1. The author of Mary Poppins, Pamela Lyndon Travers, was born in Maryborough, Australia. Her hometown has Mary Poppins-themed crossing lights in her honor.
2. This street in Fremantle, Australia, was painted to create an optical illusion.
3. “I had the window open and he just flew in, Bena, Victoria.”
4. "A library in the outback of Australia"
5. Australians who turn 50 receive a free bowel cancer test kit from the government.
6. "Some trams in Australia have spots for surfboards."
7. New parents in Victoria, Australia, receive free baby bags at the hospital.
8. Brisbane has bike repair stations available for the public.
9. There are automatic defibrillators on the streets of Adelaide, South Australia.
10. These trash containers use solar power to compress waste.
11. "All the colors within this gum tree leaf in Australia."
Share these cool pictures with family and friends!