1. Cures a Cough
Its strong smell has the power to get rid of a stuffy nose and clear a congested chest. In fact, a number of medicated chest and throat rubs contain camphor as one of the main ingredients.
- Mix 4-5 drops of camphor essential oil with a tablespoon of almond oil. Gently rub this oil blend onto your chest for a couple of minutes. Use as needed.
- To treat a chronic cough, steam inhalation is extremely effective. Put a couple of drops of camphor essential oil into a bowl of hot water. Inhale the vapor to get some relief from chest pain and coughing.
2. Clears Acne
Its anti-inflammatory nature helps to reduce inflammation, swelling, and redness in your skin.
1. Place 1 cup of extra-virgin olive oil in an airtight jar.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of camphor oil and mix well.
3. After washing your face with a cleanser, pat dry and put some of the oil on the acne.
4. Massage it into your skin for 5 minutes.
5. Leave it overnight.
6. The following morning, wash off the oil with lukewarm water and a cleanser.
7. Do this once per day.
3. Clears Nasal Congestion
Camphor works as a natural decongestant that provides relief from a blocked nose and makes breathing easy and comfortable again.
- Mix a little camphor oil into 1 tablespoon of warm mustard oil. Rub the mixture gently on your chest, back, and throat before going to bed to make breathing easier.
- You can also apply an over-the-counter, camphor-based cream onto your chest a few times a day to help fight nasal congestion.
4. Cures Cold Sores
Cold sores are quite common, highly contagious, and cause a lot of pain and irritation. To treat them, try camphor. It will temporarily relieve any pain and itching caused by the lesions, due to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
1. Mix 2-3 drops of camphor essential oil with 1 tablespoon of melted extra-virgin coconut oil.
2. Use a cotton pad to apply it to the sores.
3. Repeat 3-4 times per day.
5. Kills Head lice
Camphor, when used alongside coconut oil, makes a great remedy to get rid of head lice.
1. Mix 1 tablespoon of crushed camphor and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
2. Apply it to your hair.
3. Put on a shower cap and leave it overnight.
4. Wash out the next day with some shampoo.
5. Use this remedy 2-3 times a week for a month to get rid of head lice.
6. Heals Muscle Pain
Due to its aforementioned anti-inflammatory properties, camphor is effective at treating any kind of muscle pain. Massaging the painful area with some camphor essential oil helps improve blood circulation and reduces stiffness, which in turn promotes healing.
1. Mix 5-6 drops of camphor oil into 1-2 tablespoons of warm olive oil.
2. Use it to massage the affected area once or twice a day.
7. Soothe Cracked Heels
If you're worried about cracked heels, camphor is the perfect home remedy for you. It will help reduce the pain caused by the cracks and also accelerate the healing process.
1. Mix a piece of camphor in some warm water.
2. Soak your feet in it for 10 minutes.
3. Scrub your feet using a pumice stone.
4. Rinse them with clean water and pat dry.
5. Rub a tiny amount of Vicks VapoRub on your heels and feet.
6. Put on some socks and wear overnight.
7. Repeat daily.
8. Treats Corns
A corn on your foot can cause a lot of discomfort while standing or walking. To reduce this discomfort, you should use some camphor essential oil.
1. Heat 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil in the microwave until it melts.
2. Mix in 1 tablespoon of turpentine oil and 2 tablespoons of camphor oil.
3. Stir well and allow the cream to cool.
4. Soak your feet in warm water for 5 minutes and pat dry.
5. Apply the cream to the corn.
6. Repeat 2-3 times per day.
9. Repels and Kills Insects and Mosquitoes
Camphor essential oil, due to its strong smell and other properties, works as a natural insecticide and repellent.
- Pour 1/2 cup of hot water into a clean spray bottle. Add 20 drops of camphor essential oil to it. Shake well to mix the ingredients. Spray this solution around places you notice insects or mosquitoes.
- Put a couple of drops of camphor oil in a diffuser and place in a room which has mosquitoes.
10. Treats Restless Leg Syndrome
Those who suffer from this are familiar with the unpleasant sensations such as throbbing, pulling, and an urge to move your legs, especially when you're trying to get some sleep.
To reduce the discomfort, try camphor. Its therapeutic and antispasmodic properties help to relieve inflammation and reduce restless leg syndrome.
- Mix a little camphor oil in some warm olive oil. Massage all over your legs for 5-10 minutes. Do this each day before going to bed.
- Always mix camphor oil with some carrier oil before applying to the skin. It's very strong and can cause irritation when applied directly to the skin.
- The ideal dosage for taking camphor orally is between 125-375mg a day. Consult your doctor for the dosage that is best for you.