These include overexposure to sunlight, excessive consumption of alcohol and a poor diet, among many others. Although you can lather your skin with cosmetics found on the shelves of your local pharmacy, or make a discreet visit to a plastic surgeon for a little work, there are much cheaper ways of giving your skin a much-needed revival. Try these 10 home remedies to help with different aspects of aging skin that include nothing other than natural ingredients:
1. Lemons to increase collagen production
As we age, so does the collagen in our skin. Collagen is the protein that’s responsible for keeping our skin nice and taut. This function is complemented by that of elastin, which exists to give our skin elasticity. With the passage of time, the production of these two key proteins in the body slows down, which means that the skin loses the elasticity it once had and begins to sag. This can be remedied thanks to the high vitamin C content in lemons. It helps increase collagen production, restoring skin tautness and reducing signs of aging.
- Squeeze a fresh lemon, and rub the juice against your face and neck using your hands.
- Let the juice sit for 5-10 minutes, and then rinse your face.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day.
2. Aloe Vera to increase skin firmness
Natural aloe is one of the best treatments for making saggy skin firm again, thanks to the malic acid in the plant, which strengthens the skin and moisturizes it.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel on your face, neck, and anywhere else you’d like to make firmer.
- Let the gel sit for 15-20 minutes, and then rinse.
- Repeat several times a week.
3. Cucumber to tighten loose skin
A cucumber-based face mask will do wonders for tightening loose skin. This green vegetable is quite effective at strengthening the skin’s connective tissue, helping the skin resist the pull of gravity.
- Grate half a cucumber and extract the juice with a strainer.
- Soak a cotton ball in the juice and apply to your face.
- Once the skin is dry, rinse with cool water.
- Repeat once daily.
To make a mask, use two tablespoons of cucumber juice, a fresh egg white, and three drops of vitamin E oil. Apply the mask to your face and neck, and let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it off.
4. Olive oil for added shine and smoothness
Massaging your face with olive oil helps turn loose, wrinkled skin into smoother skin, and gives it back the sheen it has lost. The secret is antioxidants such as vitamins A and E, which are abundant in the oil, making it a true anti-aging potion.
- Warm the oil in the microwave and apply it to your face after making sure it is not too hot.
- Use your fingertips to massage your face for ten minutes.
- Perform this once a day before bedtime.
Other oils you can use include avocado oil, coconut oil, grape seed oil, jojoba, or almond oil. These oils are good not only for the face and neck, but also for your arms and legs.
5. Honey to moisturize and revitalize
Honey is a natural moisturizer that contains antioxidant and anti-aging properties, which help moisturize tough, leathery skin and give it a healthier color.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of honey with a squeeze of lemon.
- Apply the mixture to the face, neck, arms and legs.
- Once the mixture is dry, rinse it off.
- Repeat once or twice daily for the best possible results.
6. Rose water to tauten up pores and give off a radiant glow
Rose water shrinks skin cells, causing open pores to close up, particularly in the facial region, making it highly effective at giving the skin a taut look, as well as fighting minor skin infections. In addition, rose water helps in maintaining the skin’s natural sheen, which may have been lost due to sagging.
- Wash your face with rose water before bedtime, or prepare a mask by mixing it with a few drops of almond oil, and leaving it on your face for 20 minutes. Finally, rinse your face with lukewarm water.
7. Baking soda to soften saggy skin
As the skin sags, it changes the way it looks as well as how it feels. Baking soda helps restore old, saggy skin, making it feel young and supple again, by removing dead skin cells and closing up the pores.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with a cup of water.
- For the first time, test the solution by applying it to a small patch on the inside of your elbow and wait to see if you feel any discomfort.
- If all is well, massage the solution over your face and any other necessary areas for a few minutes.
- Allow the solution to sit on these areas for several minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. This can be repeated once a week.
8. Cinnamon to give your skin added flexibility
While the skin’s natural flexibility allows it to stay in place, if there is not enough collagen in the area, the skin will lose this ability and start to sag. Cinnamon helps restore the skin’s natural flexibility, making it look younger.
- Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of turmeric, half a teaspoon of salt, two drops of olive oil, and create a paste.
- Gently massage the paste onto your skin and neck for a few minutes, and then rinse the skin in lukewarm water.
- You can use this natural exfoliant up to twice a week.
9. Milk to restore your skin’s vitality
Saggy skin often looks dry and lackluster. Milk and other dairy products are well known for their skin-conditioning properties thanks to large quantities of proteins, and their antibacterial properties. Furthermore, dairy products can be used to prevent the accumulation of dead skin cells and removing existing ones, making the skin lighter. You can use regular milk, but yogurt and camel milk is recommended.
- Soak a make-up removal sponge or a cotton ball in the milk/yogurt, and apply to the face.
- Leave it on for 15-30 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water.
10. Strawberries for general improvement
Sagging skin can look translucent and pale, making it more sensitive to touch and more susceptible to the elements. The vitamin C-rich strawberry works like a disinfectant for the skin, and also contains alpha hydroxy acids, which improves the look of older skin.
- Mash 2-3 ripe strawberries into a pulp and add a teaspoon of yogurt and one teaspoon of honey.
- Apply the mixture to the desired area and let it sit for 5 minutes, and then rinse in lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure once a day and you’ll see changes in a couple of weeks.