Well maintained means rested. Well-oiled means hydrated. Gassed up with proper fuel means eating a diet that is made up of the right foods – alkaline-forming foods. These foods help to create and maintain a healthy pH in the body.
The majority of diseases love acidic conditions and cannot exist when the pH level (the concentration of hydrogen ions in your blood) in the body is alkaline. The pH scale ranges from 0-14, with 0 being highly acidic, and 14 being highly alkaline.
Healthy pH Balance
The perfect pH range in humans is 7.30-7.45, so slightly acidic. However, there’s a problem – our stomachs need acid to break down foods, but this acid helps bacteria, fungi, and viruses to reproduce. The majority of us are not as alkaline as we should be.
However, this is easily rectified. Below you will find 12 ways to balance your body’s pH levels so you can get (or remain) as healthy as you possibly can. An alkaline diet promotes healthier sleep, provides the body with more burnable energy, and is pretty easy to follow.
1. Consume only organic, non-GMO foods. By doing this, you will be able to avoid pesticides, chemicals, and other contaminants that produce acid.
2. Consume alkaline-forming foods. Most fruit and vegetables can be put into this category. For a complete list of alkaline forming foods, click here.
3. Eat less refined flours, sugars, and meats. You should aim to eat only 40-50 grams of protein per day as these acid-forming foods all contribute to a very unhealthy pH balance.
4. Prepare meals intelligently. Combine acidic foods with alkaline foods in order to create a meal that has a perfect balance. If you’re not sure what foods are alkaline and which are acidic, consult this list.
5. Drink 1-2 glasses of apple cider vinegar and water each day. Simply mix 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 8 ounces of water.
6. If you do not fancy the above drink, you can always combine 2 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice with half a teaspoon of baking powder. After the foaming has stopped, add 8-12 ounces of water and drink immediately.
7. You can also try drinking 2 teaspoons of baking soda mixed with 8 ounces of water daily. If you suffer from hypertension or an edema, you should avoid this option, or talk to a doctor first.
10. Mix 1-2 teaspoons of cream of tartar with 8 ounces of water. This will help your body form an alkaline state, and is especially good when it comes to calming nausea, relieving a headache, or overcoming shock.
11. Drink lots of water every day. This is the best way to ensure that your system is kept well oiled. Drinking water will help you to eliminate waste from your body. You should aim to drink 7-8 glasses of water a day.
12. Take digestive enzyme supplements. This will help to balance your pH levels and help your body to overcome acidosis. The pancreas is the organ that is mostly responsible for digestive enzyme production, so if your pancreas is not functioning properly, your natural enzyme level will not be where it needs to be.
13. Get active. Exercise can help remove the acidic waste that your body naturally creates, creating a more favorable alkaline environment. Even 5 minutes of brief walking can make a big difference, so don’t assume that you need to exercise for an hour to reap any benefits.
14. Snack on raw, unsalted almonds. These nuts are full of natural alkaline minerals such as calcium and magnesium, which help to balance out acidity, while also balancing blood sugar.
Sources: healthy-holistic-living, danettemay, and care2