When drinking baking soda, mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda into 1/2 glass of water. This is a safe dose that will relieve heartburn, indigestion and other ailments (see below). People aged between 5 and 60 can take up to 7 doses (at 2-hour intervals) in a 24-hour period. People older than 60 should not consume more than 3 doses within 24 hours. If consuming the maximum dose, do not exceed more than two weeks. Disorders that crop up frequently should be seen to by your doctor. Furthermore, consuming too much baking soda water can be harmful for people with diabetes, kidney disease or chronic health conditions. Read more about drinking baking soda water safely below.
The Benefits of Drinking Baking Soda Water
Drinking baking soda water periodically can boost your heath. It works as an antacid and antiseptic, which helps ease stomach and digestive problems. Below are 6 reasons why drinking baking soda water is good for you.
1. It neutralizes stomach acid
Baking soda is best known for its antacid properties, meaning that it neutralizes acid, particularly in the stomach. Acid reflux disease, often called heartburn, is normally caused due to a number of issues. Stomach acid splashes out of the stomach into the esophagus and can sometimes reach as far up as the throat, causing an unpleasant feeling. However, drinking baking soda water can help neutralize the stomach's hydrochloric acid, easing the symptoms associated with heartburn. The baking soda water also encourages burping and this relieves bloating and gas.
2. It contains mild antiseptic properties
Baking soda is a mild antiseptic that can be used to kill some kinds of parasites, fungi and mold. To reap the benefits, apply baking soda to your toothbrush to disinfect the brush and clean your teeth. You can also gargle with baking soda water to help minimize the symptoms of a sore throat or a persistent cough.
3. It promotes more alkaline pH in the body
While acidity is necessary for effective digestion of food, an overall alkaline pH in your body is considered healthier, primarily because many diseases thrive in an acidic environment. Diseases of a degenerative nature like osteoporosis, arthritis and cancer have all been associated with a chronically high acidity level in the body. Baking soda water will therefore bring about a worthwhile dietary change.
4. It can alleviate symptoms associated with gout
Gout is a type of joint inflammation that happens when uric acid builds up in the urine, blood and tissues. But drinking baking soda water can balance the body's pH level, alleviating the symptoms associated with gout.
5. It can be used to treat kidney stones
Kidney conditions can result when the ionic balance in your body is disrupted. Acidic urine can lead to the formation of kidney stones. When this occurs, treat with baking soda to restore a healthy ionic balance, discouraging kidney stone formation.
6. It can treat urinary tract infections
Drinking baking soda water can help the body overcome the infection by reducing acid in the urine. Alongside this remedy, drink plenty of water and lots of cranberry juice too.
How to Drink Baking Soda Water for Various Ailments
1. Drink it for your body's pH
Determine whether you need to drink baking soda water for your body's pH. Buy some litmus pH paper from your local pharmacy and use it to measure your urine and saliva.
First thing in the morning, measure your saliva. This should ideally be between 7.0 and 7.4. Do so before you drink anything. A urine pH reading between 6.0 and 7.0 is appropriate in the morning, and this should slightly increase throughout the day. If your pH levels are consistently lower than this, you can use baking soda water to bring your levels up.
Here's How: Drink a glass of water with half a teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in it twice per day. Drink it only between meals and continue to monitor your pH. If it's still low, drink the mix four times per day. Once it has normalized, include more vegetables and less acidic food into your diet.
2. Drink it for a cold or the flu
Baking soda has been shown to reduce the duration of cold and flu. In fact, it has been shown to eliminate symptoms within 36 hours.
Here's How: On the first day, drink six doses of baking soda water at two-hour intervals. On day 2, drink four doses of baking soda water at the same intervals. On the third day, drink two doses of baking soda water - one in morning and another two in the evening. Then reduce it to just one dose in the morning and one in the evening, until the symptoms have subsided.
Bonus: Tips For Drinking Baking Soda Water
• As stated above, baking soda is high in sodium and is not safe in high doses or for a long periods of time.
• Baking soda water should not be taken by individuals who have edema, liver disease, kidney disease or high blood pressure.
• Nursing mothers or pregnant women should avoid drinking baking soda water.
• Cramping of the stomach and increased thirstiness may arise when consuming baking soda water.
• If you experience swelling of the feet, weakness, slow breathing or nausea, contact your doctor.
• Avoid baking soda water if you have high blood pressure or are on a sodium-restricted diet.
• Check with your doctor if your prescription medication can be taken with baking soda water.
• Baking soda water should not be given to children under the age of five.
• Do not drink baking soda water on a full stomach.
• Opt for pure sodium bicarbonate, as opposed to the commercial varieties available at supermarkets. Pure baking soda is widely available online.
• Do not confuse baking soda with baking powder. It is an entirely different substance and may harm your body.
Discover more of what baking soda can do for you here.