It's well-known that a healthy lifestyle plays a very important role in brain health. However, at the same time, essential oils are also very beneficial for brain power.
Herbal practitioners, as well as modern medicine, have acknowledged the benefits different essential oils give to the brain. These oils can help with different cognitive problems such as mental fatigue, low clarity, poor intellectual performance, impaired concentration, poor memory recall, and impaired memory, to name but a few.
These oils are mostly used in aromatherapy. The reason for this is because smell is the strongest of our senses and is best able to influence brain activity. However, before learning how essential oils can be used to boost your brain power, it's important to know which essential oils are the best for this purpose.
Therefore, below you can find the best essential oils for brain health.
Lavender essential oil has calming and relaxing properties that will help put your nervous system in a parasympathetic rest-and-digest state. This soothing effect helps to relieve nervous tension and depression. To add to this, it also gives a boost to cognitive abilities.
Research has found that those who are exposed to the smell of lavender essential oil are more relaxed and less depressed, and are able to perform math computations faster and more accurately.
2. Rosemary Essential Oil
This essential oil works as an effective cognitive stimulant, thus helping to improve memory and mental focus. A major component of rosemary essential oil is 1,9-Cineole, which has been shown to boost memory. Furthermore, the smell of essential oil may help enhance prospective memory, which is the ability to remember upcoming events in order to complete future tasks.
It's also very good at increasing brain-wave activities and protecting against neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's.
3. Lemon Essential Oil
This strong smelling essential oil is highly beneficial for brain health. The strong scent helps to promote concentration and helps to calm your mind when you're feeling anxious, angry, or run down. It can even help to reduce stress. Furthermore, this essential oil inhibits enzymes that are linked to neurodegenerative conditions.
Peppermint essential oil stimulates the mind to support memory, concentration, focus, and mental performance. To add to this, it has a soothing and cooling effect that promotes relaxation and clear thinking. The scent of this essential oil also stimulates the areas of the brain that are responsible for alertness.
5. Cinnamon Essential Oil
Cinnamon essential oil can help to fight mental fatigue and improve brain function related to working memory, visual motor speed, virtual recognition memory, and attention. Furthermore, it helps to break up any brain plaque and reduce any inflammation that could eventually lead to memory issues. At the same time, it is very effective at preventing/delaying the symptoms of Alzheimer's.
How to Use the Aforementioned Essential Oils to Improve Brain Health
There are many different ways in which you can use the powerful aroma of these essential oils to improve brain power and boost your mental health. The six best methods can be found below.
1. Handkerchief Method
This is the simplest method. You just need to place 2-3 drops of the essential oil of your choice onto a handkerchief and sniff it occasionally. You can also place the handkerchief near your pillow before going to sleep. This way you can enjoy the benefits of the essential oil even when you're sleeping.
2. Pot and Water Method
Another method you can use is the pot and water method. Simply:
1. Place some water in a small pot.
2. Add 6-7 drops of your preferred essential oil.
3. Allow the water to boil.
4. Turn down the heat and keep the pot on the burner for a couple of minutes to allow the essential oil to evaporate into the air.
For an aromatherapy bath:
1. Mix 3 drops of your preferred essential oil in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil (olive oil, coconut oil, or sweet almond oil).
2. Add this oil blend to a bathtub filled with water and mix thoroughly using your hand.
3. Enjoy this relaxing bath for 15-20 minutes, a couple of times a week.
For an aromatherapy massage:
1. Place 2 tablespoons of carrier oil like sweet almond oil into a bowl.
2. Mix 10-12 drops of your preferred essential oil to the bowl.
3. Massage your forehead, temples, and/or back of the neck with this solution.
4. Do this a few times per week.
Note: Don't get any of the oil into your eyes.
4. Homemade Solid Perfume Method
You can improve your mental power by blending some essential oils into solid perfumes. You can use a mixture of different essential oils or choose just the one depending on your preference.
1. Open a container of any commercial solid perfume or homemade solid perfume.
2. Put a few drops of essential oil on the top of it.
3. Close the lid properly.
4. Whenever you require it, just dab a small bit of the perfume on your temples.
You can also get the benefits of aromatherapy by creating a mister.
1. Add 1-6 drops of essential oil to a spray bottle filled with distilled water.
2. Give it a good shake and spray the oil-infused water in and around your surroundings.
3. Use it when needed and change frequently.
6. Candle Diffuser Method
Before using this method, you must buy a candle diffuser. These are readily available on the market - you can try any shop that sells essential oils.
1. Put water on the top bowl of the candle diffuser and then add a few drops of essential oil to it.
2. Light a tea light underneath so that the heat evaporates the essential oil into the air around you.
Note: Essential oils can be flammable, so be careful when using this method.