The yellow/orange spice of Turmeric has been in use for over 2,000 years, and is considered one of the most effective medicinal herbs through its active ingredient - curcumin. Studies have found that a daily intake of turmeric can greatly benefit our breathing, digestion, blood flow, heart and even our brains. The curcumin has strong anti-inflammation and anti-carcinogenic properties. It's amazing what just a teaspoon of turmeric, mixed with the right ingredients, can do.
But beyond these uses, old and wise men and women, through the centuries, have come up with great home remedies using turmeric.
Here are 15 uses for this wonderful spice that will bring you relief, healing and better living:
1. Treat ulcers and digestion problems: Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of boiling water, let it cool and then drink (you can sweeten with sugar or honey).
2. To relieve problems of digestion and acidity in the stomach: Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric with 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and a 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom. Swallow after your meal.
3. To relieve a sore throat: Mix a teaspoonful of honey with a teaspoon of turmeric and swallow about 4 times a day.
A second option: mix 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gurgle in the throat.
4. To treat fungus on feet and nails: Mix turmeric powder with lemon juice until an ointment is created. Smear the ointment on the problematic area for a week. Recommendation: apply before bed time and wear socks.
5. Treating acne: Smear a salve made of a tablespoon of milk and a bit of turmeric. It may stain your face, so best to put it on at night and wash your face well in the morning.
6. To stop bleeding caused by cuts or scrapes: Dab generously with turmeric powder for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effects.
7. For quick healing of wounds: Make a thick mixture of turmeric with a bit of water. Smear on the wound and bandage it for at least 24 hours.
8. To treat arthritis: Boil a glass of milk with a teaspoon and a half of turmeric powder. Wait till it cools and drink.
9. To relieve asthma attacks: Mix 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of hot water and drink in small sips.
10. To stop your gums from bleeding: Massage the teeth and gums with a mixture made of equal parts turmeric powder, mustard, oil and salt.
11. To treat mouth wounds: Mix a 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of hot water and wait till it cools. Gargle several times a day.
12. Treating stubborn calluses: Prepare a thick mix of 50 grams of turmeric powder with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well to receive the salve and then smear it on the callus.
13. To treat insect bites: Make a mixture of turmeric and lemon and smear over the injured area. This will help stop the bleeding and remove any poison left behind which may irritate the skin.
14. For harsh PMS and cramps: Mix a teaspoon and a half of turmeric in a glass of hot milk.
15. To ease labor: It is recommended for women that are 9 months pregnant to swallow 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric with hot milk every day. This combination, taken late in the pregnancy, should make giving birth a little easier.
Images 1, 2, 3 courtesy of: depositphotos.com