Every country has its own manner and means of governance and law. Every time you travel to a foreign country, you are actually moving somewhere with a different set of laws. By and large, most countries share certain common legal practices, thanks to globalization. However, much like the unique words in some languages that can get lost in translation, some laws are likewise too strange to be understood by non-natives. From making it a crime to forget your wife's birthday to criminalizing Winnie the Pooh in children’s areas, the legislative system has some extremely odd uses. These 20 foreign laws will probably amuse and definitely bewilder you.
1. Georgia, USA, has a law forbidding poultry owners from allowing their chickens to cross the road.
2. There is a law in Milan, Italy, requiring people to smile at all times or pay a fine, except during funerals and hospital visits.
3. In Oklahoma, USA, the law forbids anyone from keeping a sleeping donkey in the bathtub after 7 pm.
4. Denmark has a law specifying 7,000 baby names which are the only ones permitted for use.
5. Under England’s Salmon Act of 1986, it is a crime to hold a salmon “suspiciously”.
6. By law, 35% of the content played on the radio in Canada has to be Canadian.
7. Australian law has made it illegal to crush beer-cans with your breasts.
8. The Scottish have a law that requires you to allow anyone who knocks on your door and requests to use the toilet in.
9. A town in France only allows you to die in the city limits if you have a plot in the local cemetery.
10. Gum and Gum-chewing is banned in Singapore.
11. It is illegal to build sandcastles in Eraclea, Italy.
12. Michigan has a law that makes it illegal to chain an alligator to a fire hydrant.
13. Cambodia has laws against using squirt guns or any sort of water weaponry.
14. Buddhists Monks require the permission of the government in order to reincarnate.
15. Being overweight or obese is illegal in Japan.
16. In Switzerland, it is illegal to flush the toilet after 7 pm.
17. North Korea bans foreign people from using the local currency and entering department stores.
18. In Tornio, Italy, the law requires you to walk your dog three times a day.
19. In Chicago, USA, it is illegal to fish while sitting on a giraffe’s neck.
20. In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon.