No one likes being sick with the flu. Fever, aches, nausea and congestion all make for a very unpleasant experience. So here are 16 foods that will help you battle and prevent the flu (and some can help you with a hangover too).
1. Ginger tea will help ease Nausea.
2. Add honey and get some extra (and much needed) antioxidants.
3. Citrus pulp contain flavonoids which help bolster your immune system.
4. Are you congested? Sinuses all backed up? Eat something spicy – spicy foods are incredibly effective decongestants. (But avoid it if your stomach’s hurting!)
5. Regular tea (“black tea”) is a great decongestant and helps sooth a sore throat. Green tea is rich in antioxidants which help fight infections.
6. Tomato juice is great for hydration, and is rich in minerals and nutrients your body needs.
7. Throat still sore? Eat a popsicle! (Try to buy a natural one)
8. Sabra (aka “Prickly Pear”) is full of anti-inflammatory agents.
9. The health benefits of eating Chicken Soup is not an old wive’s tale – it contains amino acids that clear mucus build-up.
10. Asparagus helps the body replace essential enzymes that were lost due to drinking alcohol.
11. Digestion problems? Eat some unsalted crackers.
12. No crackers? Eat some toast. It’s great for calming a queasy stomach and helps the liver after a night of alcohol consumption.
13. Egg-whites are very rich in protein which is needed to clear the body of toxins and stabilize blood-sugar.
14. Quinoa – A superfood, packed-full of amino acids that help recuperate after a night of drinking.
15. Coconut water is rich in electrolytes which the body needs when you’re sick, and they’re much healthier than artificial energy drinks.
16. Rich in Potassium and electrolytes, Bananas are an excellent source of energy when you need to sweat off a flu.