1. In the Norse mythology, who is the hammer-wielding god of thunder?
2. The waters of which subterranean river cause forgetfulness?
The Ancient Greek word "lethe" means forgetfulness, and it's from there that "lethargy" derives
3. Traditionally, what is Robin Hood’s proper surname?
4. What was the name of the giant bird Sinbad the Sailor encountered in his travels?
5. What was Prometheus’ punishment for sharing the secret of fire with humanity?
He was cursed to bear the weight of the world for eternity
He had to roll a large boulder uphill endlessly
He was bound to a rock, where eagles perpetually eat his liver
6. Which was the first plague that God visited upon the Egyptians?
7. How did King Arthur come into the possession of Excalibur?
Though often confused and sometimes conflated, the sword in the stone and Excalibur are not the same weapon
He inherited it from his father Uther Pendragon
He found it on the corpse of a Saxon chieftain
He pulled it out of a stone
He received it from the Lady of the Lake
8. In Homer’s Iliad, Prince Paris is approached by three goddesses with a golden apple to give to the fairest of them all. Who does he give it to?
Helen did not directly participate in the contest between the goddesses. She was, instead, the prize.
9. In the original story, where is Aladdin from?
While modern depictions place Aladdin in a vaguely Middle-Eastern setting, the original story takes place in China
10. Which of these mythical feats did the biblical Samson NOT do?
Tear off the gates of Gaza
Slay a lion with his bare hands and extract a honeycomb from its corpse
Kill the king of Ascalon by throwing a fox’ tooth into his eye
Smite a thousand Philistines with a donkey’s jawbone
11. What was the given name of the one-eyed giant encountered by Odysseus?
Though belonging to a race called cyclops, the giant's actual name was Polyphemus
12. What is the name of the Celtic spirit whose wail is an omen of death?
13. According to Islamic legend, which legendary ruler is responsible for binding genies to bottles, lamps and jars?
14. The Norse god Odin is attended by several animals. Which of these is NOT one of Odin’s pets?
Geri and Freki, a pair of wolves
Huginn and Munnin, a pair of ravens
Jormungand, a snake long enough to circle the world
Sleipnir, an eight-legged horse
15. What type of creature is the snake-haired Medusa?