What are age spots and why do we get them?
Age spots arise due to an over-exposure to sunlight and UV rays which can either be from spending a lot of time outside, particularly when not wearing sunscreen, or from spending time in tanning beds, which give intense UV exposure. The more sunlight and UV rays we expose ourselves to, the quicker the process of melanin occurs in our bodies. Melanin is our bodies' natural response to sunlight and is responsible for the tanning and darkening of our skin. So, while over the years our beach tans fade, areas of our body that have been seriously exposed to UV rays over the years will retain brown splotches, meaning that melanin was overactive in these areas, resulting in unsightly age spots.
Are age spots dangerous?
When it comes to age spots, the scary truth is that they can be. While it doesn't mean that every brown spot is cancerous, there are a few warning signs which you should keep an eye out for. Here's what you need to bear in mind:
1. If some spots are darker than others.
2. If they have a border around them.
3. If they are constantly growing or changing.
4. If they appear red or are tender.
So, if you notice any of these signs with your brown spots, be sure to visit a doctor, or see a dermatologist immediately. The best way you can keep track of this is to do regular self-examinations. If you are unsure about the status of your spots, try testing your age spots with the ABCDEs of Melanoma. Here's what you need to ask yourself when determining if your spots are potentially hazardous:
How to get rid of brown spots
There's a simple juice solution that can be used which only requires two basic ingredients and a few minutes of your time. The solution is credited to Doug Willen, author of Quantum Paleo. All you need is onion juice and apple cider vinegar. These two ingredients are beneficial because onion juice has been proven to help remove skin scarring. Furthermore, onions contain antioxidants that help fight free radicals, especially in the top layers of skin. Meanwhile, apple cider vinegar contains alpha hydroxy acids, an acid which helps remove dead layers of skin. These two healing ingredients will give you spotless skin in no time at all.
1. Chop up a fresh onion, putting it in a Ziploc bag. Then pulverize the onion using a blunt surface and pour it into a blender.
2. Add 1/2 a cup of apple cider vinegar and blend the onion mix until smooth.
3. Next, soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply on your spots daily. Do this for 2 to 4 weeks, until you see results.
4. While it may not be an overnight solution to your age spots, it is an all-natural, inexpensive and simple solution, that is extremely effective. It may take a few weeks, but if you stick with this routine you will get the positive results you are looking for.