The longer I live, the more I begin to realize that the world is far from a simple and straightforward place. In fact, many things which used to leave me shocked or perplexed now have little effect on me, as I learn to appreciate every aspect of our world and the many societies that it contains. Below, you'll find 20 strange facts that prove what a unique and wonderful place our planet really is:
1. In ancient Egypt, baldness was considered to be the ultimate form of female beauty.
2. There is a condition known as hypertrichosis, which is often referred to as the 'werewolf syndrome'.
3. The first alarm clock was only able to ring at 4 am, since the inventor, Levi Hutchins, created it for his own personal use.
4. The Arabic word for 'camel' literally means 'beauty'.
5. Horses, camels, giraffes, zebras, and cows are all able to sleep while standing up, but can't enter REM sleep without lying down.
6. Einstein refused to wear socks, claiming “When I was young I found out that the big toe always ends up making a hole in a sock. So I stopped wearing socks.”
7. The opposite faces of a die are designed to add up to 7, which was considered a magic number in the past.
8. Most scientists claim that pandas are more closely related to raccoons than bears.
9. The average woman spends ten years of her life applying makeup.
10. Alcohol can protect you from radiation sickness & according to Japanese scientists, 15 fl oz of light beer can reduce radiation damage by 34%.
11. Kea parrots from New Zealand have been known to eat sheep alive in the middle of the night.
12. Jimmy Carter once accidentally sent nuclear launch codes to the dry cleaner in his jacket pocket by accident.
13. This cracker that was served on the Titanic was eventually sold for $22,968.
14. There is a phobia called anatidaephobia which is the fear of being constantly watched by a duck.
15. The human body contains around 0.2mg of gold, half in the blood and organs, and half in the bones.
16. The western Chinese add salt to their tea to restore energy and prevent dehydration.
17. The only animals allowed to enter mosques are cats, since the prophet Mohammed was a great lover of cats.
18. Our planet gets around 60 tons heavier each day due to cosmic dust and other particles settling on it from space.
19. A Hollywood screenwriter earns more than top actors, and 2 weeks of work can land you around $500,000.
20. According to nutritionists, the scent of bananas, peaches, and apples make it easier to lose weight.