Carrot cake is such a wonderful dessert that even people who dislike the funny-shaped root vegetable can't resist it. And this has got to be up there as one of the best-ever carrot cake recipes. Make this classic favorite for a crowd and you definitely won't have any leftovers to bring home. But you'll certainly be the most popular baker in your town!
Carrot Cake (Serves 20)
• 4 large eggs
• 1 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 2 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon cloves
• 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
• 20 oz. carrots, finely chopped (about 3 1/4 cups)
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 1 cup crushed pineapple, well-drained
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
• 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
• 2 cups white chocolate chips, melted
• 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
• Chopped walnuts, for garnish
For the Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line the bottom of three 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Leave sides of pans dry - no cooking spray needed.
2. Combine eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes with a mixer on medium speed. Add 1 cup of sugar and continue mixing for 2 minutes. Add the remaining sugar and mix 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Combine flour and the next 6 ingredients (flour through to nutmeg); add to the egg mixture, beating on low speed until blended, about 1 minute. Add carrots, walnuts, and pineapple; mix until well combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly among pans.
5. Bake for 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Run knife round the edge of the cakes and remove from pans. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
To Prepare Icing
7. Place cream cheese in mixing bowl; beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add melted chocolate a little at a time, continuing to beat at medium speed. Add butter a little at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl; add lemon rind and beat until combined.
8. Remove cakes from the fridge. Ice top of one layer. Places the second layer on top; ice top. Place the third layer on top; ice top and sides of cake. Press chopped walnuts into sides of cake.
Get free access To all the posts in our new app!