March 20th, 2017: Today's world news headlines
• Fierce fighting in northern Damascus
• North Korea holds successful rocket test
• Norway is the world’s happiest country
• Battle for the soul of the French Left
• Beauty and the Beast’s $350 million opening weekend
On this day in 1854, anti-slavery activists met at a public meeting in a schoolhouse in Ripon, Wisconsin, deciding to call themselves "Republican". This was the beginning of the "GOP" Republican Party, which has, along with its rival the Democratic Party, dominated US Politics ever since. Only a few years later in 1860 did its leader Abraham Lincoln become president of the nation, with both houses of Congress controlled by the party. The GOP made it their platform to preserve the union and end slavery.
1. Fierce fighting in northern Damascus
Syrian forces have been engaged in fierce fighting with rebels and jihadists in the northern part of the Syrian capital.
2. North Korea holds successful rocket test
US President Trump states that the isolated country is “behaving very badly”.
3. Norway is the world’s happiest country
This year’s World Happiness Report has just been released, with Norway beating Denmark to the top spot.
4. Battle for the soul of the French Left
Center-left and far-left presidential candidates battle for the hearts and minds of the French people ahead of national elections.
5. Beauty and the Beast’s $350 million opening weekend
The remake of the Disney classic has opened with the seventh-highest grossing opening weekend in history.
Cover image by Deposit Photos.
Get free access To all the posts in our new app!