I've been to many grill parties where you get the choice of one of two things if you're a vegetarian: either a frozen and bland veggie burger, or a huge Portobello mushroom that has been tossed on the grill. Both of these are okay, I guess. I usually go for the Portobello to be honest, but it gets a bit too much about halfway through. However, what most people are unaware of is that mushrooms can be used to make an extremely tasty burger. They're savory, have a nice texture, and mix well with loads of other ingredients. The recipe below is my favorite to use when it comes down to making delicious mushroom burgers.
• 20 oz sliced mushroom (Portobello)
• 1/2 cup red onion
• 1/2 cup white onion
• 1/3 cup pimentos
• 1/4 cup black olives
• 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
• 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
• 1 cup brown rice
• 2 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tsp onion flakes
• 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
• 2 tbs fresh or dried thyme
1. Take your mushrooms and blend them in your food processor until mushy.
2. Add the mushroom pâté to your frying pan, and cook it until most of the water has gone. It should now look like ground beef.
3. Stir fry all of your vegetables (as shown in the video above).
4. Add them to your mushroom mix, followed by the herbs and brown rice.
5. Add the liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce.
6. Shape into a burger and fry for 7 minutes on either side.
Get free access To all the posts in our new app!