Apple and Rhubarb Crumble (Served with a Delicious Vanilla Custard)
• 1 1/8 lb of muscovado sugar
• 11 2/3 oz of ground almonds
• 1 3/4 lb of flour
• 1 1/8 lb of butter
• 5 2/3 oz of flaked almonds
• 4 2/3 oz of hazelnuts, nibbed
• 1/2 nutmeg, grated
• 2 1/4 lb of Bramley apple, peeled, cored and diced
• 1 1/8 lb of rhubarb, chopped
• 5 2/3 oz of brown sugar
• cinnamon to taste
• 3/4 pint of double cream
• 3/4 pint of whole milk
• 1 vanilla pod, split
• 4 egg yolks
• 4 1/2 oz of caster sugar
1. To make the crumble topping, rub together the sugar, flour, ground almonds, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl, ensuring any lumps of sugar are broken up.
2. Gradually rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir through the flaked hazelnuts and almonds.
3. To make the filling, add the apples, cinnamon and half the sugar to a wide pan and cook on a low-to-medium heat, stirring often.
4. When the sugar has dissolved and the apples have softened and caramelized, add the rhubarb and remaining sugar. Cook for 2 more minutes, or until the rhubarb softens slightly. Spread the mixture onto a tray to speed up the cooling process.
5. Preheat the oven to 392°F/gas mark 6.
6. Add 5 oz of the filling to the heatproof serving dish and scatter the crumble mixture so that all the filling is covered. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the top of the crumble has turned a golden-brown color and the filling is bubbling up nicely.
7. While you wait, make the custard. Add the milk, cream, and vanilla pod to a large pan and bring to the boil.
8. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a heatproof mixing bowl until nice and smooth. Add the hot cream mixture to the egg mixture, whisking to combine, then return to the pan and bring it to 180°F, stirring constantly until it is thick and smooth.
9. Pass the custard through a sieve into a serving jug, and serve alongside the hot crumble.
Get free access To all the posts in our new app!