I didn't think it possible to prepare bread with no carbs, but this recipe proved me wrong. Known as cloud bread, this carb and gluten-free bread is soft, airy and fluffy, and so delicious - it practically melts in your mouth. It's an ideal replacement for traditional homemade bread, and it's also high in protein.
So how do you make it? All you need is three ingredients: eggs, cream cheese, and cream of tartar. The recipe below includes a couple of optional ingredients too - bits of rosemary were added for a more flavorful kick. The result? Patty-shaped bread, or as the name describes them, clouds.
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Meanwhile, separate the eggs, removing the yolk from the white.
2. In one bowl, mix the egg yolks, cream cheese, and honey until smooth.
3. In the second bowl, add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (or cream of tartar if using) to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy with firm peaks. The egg whites should have a whipped cream consistency.
4. Then fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites carefully and slowly, retaining, as much as possible, the fluffiness of the egg whites. Do not let the mixture melt.
5. Spoon the mixture into 10-12 even rounds on a baking sheet and sprinkle with rosemary (if using) and put in the oven.
6. Bake the bread for 17 to 20 minutes on the middle rack, then broil for 1 minute until they become golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven, leave to cool and enjoy.
Enjoy! This guilt-free treat works great as a hamburger bun or sandwich bread. You can toast it and enjoy with jam for a tasty breakfast.
Get free access To all the posts in our new app!