I love a bowl of hot soup, whether it's a hot or cold day. Creamy broccoli soup is one of my all-time favorite recipes and I thought I'd share it with you. Not only is it absolutely delicious, but it is also very healthy as it has cancer-fighting properties.
Broccoli contains a high concentration of sulforaphane, a compound which is found in cruciferous vegetables (kale, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, radish) and has strong anti-cancer properties. Sulforaphane is produced when the enzyme myrosinase reacts with glucoraphanin - this reaction usually occurs when the two compounds mix, which occurs when the plant is being chewed.
Therefore, due to its known cancer preventing properties, individuals who have a high risk of cancer, especially prostate or colon cancer, should increase their consumption of broccoli. However, it's not as simple as this - it's not only about what you eat, but also how you eat it.
The way you cook your broccoli can drastically decrease the health benefits that it yields. For example, boiling or microwaving broccoli will destroy the myrosinase enzymes, which in turn will inhibit the production of sulforaphane. Therefore, the goal is to cook broccoli in such a way that it is able to retain all of its health benefits.
Usually, when making creamy broccoli soup, the majority of the myrosinase enzymes are lost during the simmering process. Therefore, this time, to counter that, after the broccoli has been lightly steamed for 3-5 minutes, set aside the leafy floret, and save it for the last step - most of the myrosinase enzymes are found in the leafy buds. The following creamy broccoli soup recipe will leave your mouth watering while giving you a huge nutrient boost!
1. Place the oil in a large pot and heat over a medium heat. Sauté the celery and onion for 4 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the potatoes and broccoli stems and sauté for 2 more minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth and almond milk, bring to the boil.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. when simmered and the vegetables are tender, pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth.
7. Serve and garnish with an abundance of feta cheese and broccoli florets - enabling the sulforaphane producing reaction.
Get free access To all the posts in our new app!