1. Deep breathing
Inhaling and exhaling deeply is one of the best remedies to combat dizziness as it will help provide an adequate amount of oxygen to the brain, relaxing the nervous system and reducing dizziness.
• Sit or lie down in a comfortable position, placing one hand on your abdomen, and the thumb of the other hand against one nostril and close your mouth.
• Inhale slowly through the open nostril, filling your belly with air. Hold the breath in, closing both nostrils and purse your lips.
• After 2 to 3 seconds exhale slowly, extracting air from the belly. Repeat for a total of 10 breaths. Then sit quietly for 5 minutes to avoid getting dizzy again.
2. Drink water
Dehydration tends to be a common cause of dizziness. This can often occur due to not drinking water for a long time, or failing to rehydrate your body during and after exercise. Dehydration may also cause vomiting or diarrhea that causes excessive fluid loss. So, whenever you feel dizzy, try drinking a glass of water to keep you hydrated and keep dizziness at bay. Alternatively, you may also drink herbal tea with some honey. Soups, broths or fruit juices should also work.
Low blood sugar levels may also increase the likelihood of feeling dizzy. Hunger can also make you prone to dizziness. So, whenever you feel dizzy, try eat something. If you are prone to dizziness, it is a good idea that you avoid remaining hungry for a long period of time. Opt for snacks that are high in carbohydrates or sugar, like a chocolate bar or a banana. Fruit high in water content ought to do the trick too. Yogurt is also a good option. As is a handful of roasted nuts like cashews, almonds or walnuts.
This time-tested recipe works wonders for dizziness and the nausea that often occurs as a result. It stimulate the blood flow to the brain and other parts of the body, which helps reduce dizziness. Try chewing on a small slice of fresh ginger root, or suck on it to alleviate the symptoms. Alternatively, you may also sip on ginger ale or ginger tea throughout the day. As another option, you can take ginger supplements, just be sure to consult your doctor for the appropriate dose.
Lemon is an excellent remedy for dizziness. The vitamin C in lemon boosts the immune system and helps the body to fight illness. Several other nutrients in lemon also make it naturally energizing. Just squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon into a glass of water and stir in 2 teaspoons of sugar, to get relief from dizziness.
6. Indian Gooseberry
Also known as amla, this popular Ayurvedic remedy for dizziness provides a rich source of vitamins A and C, boosting your immunity, improving blood circulation, helping to treat and prevent dizziness.
• Grind 2 amla fruits (de-seeded) into a paste.
• Mix in 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds and a cup of water.
• Let it sit overnight then strain and drink the water the next morning. Repeating the process daily for a few days.
The natural sugars found in honey can give you an energy boost and alleviate dizziness. Honey can also help prevent low blood sugar - a common cause of dizziness.
• Mix 2 teaspoons each of honey and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of cold or hot water. Drinking it 2 times per day.
• Alternatively, you can combine 1 tablespoon of honey and lemon juice with a glass of warm water. Drink it to get immediate relief from dizziness.
8. Gingko Biloba
Gingko biloba is another effective home cure that'll combat dizziness. It helps improve blood flow to the brain, preventing dizziness. This herb is also effective in treating tinnitus, which may also cause dizziness.
Feverfew is another beneficial herb that can treat dizziness. It can also treat accompanying symptoms like headaches, nausea and vomiting and may also improve blood circulation. Chew on a few, fresh feverfew leaves when you feel dizzy. Alternatively, you may steep 1 teaspoon of dried feverfew leaves and peppermint leaves in a cup of hot water for 15 to 20 minutes, then strain and drink.
10. Eat healthy
A healthy diet can prevent dizziness by eliminating many of the conditions that contribute to it. For instance, you can prevent dizziness that is related to anemia, low blood pressure and low blood sugar by eating foods that are high in iron, vitamin A, folic acid and fiber. You should also choose foods that are low in sugar and fat.
• Iron-rich foods like liver, tofu, spinach, almonds, dates, lentils, fortified breakfast cereals and asparagus.
• Foods rich in vitamin C such as oranges, lemons, bell peppers, broccoli, grapefruit and spinach.
• Foods rich in folic acid like green leafy veg, liver, sprouts, fortified cereals, peanuts, bananas and broccoli.