One aspect of yoga delves into hand gestures, known as mudras in Sanskrit. Mudras are believed to direct the flow of energy into the body. These hand gestures are also believed to stimulate various parts of the brain. Below are six yoga mudras and their benefits:
1. Vayu Mudra
Benefits: This mudra helps ease symptoms associated with gas.
• Fold your index finger, while keeping your middle finger, ring finger and little finger extended.
• With your thumb, push your index finger into your palm, just below the mid-joint of your finger (as shown in the image).
• This mudra can be practiced at any time of day.
2. Prithvi Mudra
Benefits: This mudra improves blood circulation and promotes patience and acceptance. It also increases attentiveness during meditation.
• Sit down comfortably, and place your hands on your knees.
• Connect the tip of your ring finger with your thumb, while extending your index, middle and little finger straight up, as shown in the image.
3. Varun Mudra
Benefits: This mudra heals skin conditions such as eczema.
• While keeping your ring, middle and index finger straight, bend and connect the tips of your little finger and your thumb, as shown in the image.
4. Shunya Mudra
Benefits: Practicing this mudra is said to alleviate pain associated with an earache.
• Keep your index, ring and little finger extended. Bend your middle finger and place your thumb over the tip of your middle finger (just over your nail).
5. Surya Mudra
Benefits: This mudra can be practiced to lower high cholesterol, or should you wish to lose some weight. It's also believed to decrease anxiety and promote better digestion.
• Keep your little, middle and index finger extended, and bend your ring finger, connecting the tip of your thumb and ring finger.
6. Prana Mudra
Benefits: This mudra is believed to maintain a healthy immune system, as well as decrease tiredness and fatigue.
• Keep your little finger and index finger extended, and connect the tips of your thumb, index and middle finger.