They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and rightly so. It breaks the overnight fasting period and replenishes your supply of glucose. Starting your day off with a healthy and nutritious meal will also provide essential nutrients to keep your energy levels up throughout the day. I for one look forward to my breakfast each morning, and as much as possible I try to keep my meals varied. Here are three of my personal favorites, which are relatively easy to prepare and will supply your body with a nutritious boost and will get your day started off on a healthy note.
1. Breakfast Tortilla Cups
This simple dish is just like making an omelet and is incredibly versatile too – switch up and use your favorite ingredients each time you prepare this recipe. Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 12 flour tortillas
• 6 eggs
• 8 oz. sour cream
• 1 cup cheese, shredded
• Bell peppers, diced
• Onions, diced
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Meanwhile, cut 3.5 inch circles from flour tortillas and press each one into a greased muffin tin.
Combine the eggs, sour cream, ½ cup cheese, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl then pour the mixture into the tortilla cups in the muffin tin.
2. Add diced bell peppers and onions. And bake for 10 minutes at 350 °F.
3. Sprinkle with additional cheese, and melt. Enjoy!
2. Breakfast in a Potato
For a big savory brunch that features eggs, potato and lots of bacon, your search ends here. Dig into this easy to prepare baked potato. Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Ingredients (Serves 2)
• 3 large baked potatoes
• 3 eggs
• 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 3 tbsp shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Lay the baked potato on its side and slice off 1/3 of it, cutting lengthwise. Then, using a spoon remove the center of the potato forming a bowl.
2. Place ½ tablespoon butter in the center of each potato then gently break an egg into the center – try not to break the yolk.
3. Top each with bacon, cheese and parsley, then season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake at 350 °F for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy while hot!
3. Banana Oat Energy Bites
For a quick, convenient breakfast on the go, this is your go-to snack! They can also be prepared well-ahead of time.
• 2 ripe bananas
• 2 cups rolled oats
• ¼ cup almond butter (or peanut butter)
• ¼ cup honey
• 2 tbsp chocolate chips
• ½ tsp cinnamon
1. In a large mixing bowl, mash up the bananas, then stir in the oats, almond butter, honey, chocolate chips and cinnamon.
2. Next, form the balls using about 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Repeat until all the mixture has been used up.
3. Refrigerate for 2 hours until the oats have softened and keep stored in the refrigerator.