Your liver is an essential organ that carries out many functions, helping you to sustain a healthy body. The liver is responsible for processing all the things that you eat, drink, and absorb through the skin. Consequently it's frequently exposed to many harmful substances. So, how can you determine if your liver is functioning as it should?
Signs of a Damaged Liver
As a result of a damaged liver you may experience allergies, malnutrition, high cholesterol, triglycerides and even gallstones. A liver cleanse, however, will help alleviate many of these problems and symptoms. Liver detoxifying products are available at health food and drug stores, but with two simple ingredients you can easily prepare your own liver cleanse at home.
1. Understanding the benefits of this cleanse
This 24 hour detox will help remove toxins from the liver, flushing out any gallstones from the gallbladder. It can also help alleviate chronic acne, yeast infection and symptoms associated with a leaky gut.
2. Preparing your body for a cleanse
It is important that you prepare your body days ahead. In the days leading up to the detox be sure to eat plenty of apples and drink freshly squeezed apple juice - as much as possible. On the day before the detox, drink 8 ounces of apple juice every two to three hours. Then, on the morning of the detox, eat a light breakfast that contains no fat - you can opt for a healthy smoothie or wholegrain cereal with fruit.
3. Preparing and drinking the salt mixture
At 2pm on the day of the detox, prepare and drink the following salt mixture:
- 4 tablespoons of Epsom salts
- 3 cups of water
1. Combine the water and salts and pour the salt mixture into a large jug and leave to cool in the fridge. After 2pm do not eat any food.
2. At 6pm drink 3/4 cup of the salt mixture. If you find the taste difficult to stomach, mix in a little powdered vitamin C.
3. At 8pm, drink another 3/4 cup of the salt mix.
4. Preparing and drinking the grapefruit mixture
1. At 9.45pm juice a large grapefruit - you should end up with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of juice, pour it into a jar. Then add 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil and shake the jar vigorously, combining the ingredients well.
2. Drink the grapefruit and oil mixture (through a straw if necessary) then go to bed and lie down immediately allowing the cleanse to work properly.
3. Lie on your right side with your right knee tucked up towards your chest and try to sleep.
5. Finishing off the cleanse
The next morning drink another 3/4 cup of the Epsom salts immediately upon waking. And drink the final portion 2 hours later. Transition back to drinking fruit juice a further two hours later, but wait another two hours before you introduce solid food - just make sure that whatever you eat is light and healthy. After the liver cleanse, you can expect to have one or more bowel movements. You may also notice round, green stones amongst your waste - these are gallstones. Gallstones in your stool is completely normal after a detox cleanse and this indicates that the cleanse has worked well.